Sunday, 16 August 2026

Kapotasana breakthrough?

I'd thought yesterday that I'd got about as far as I could in Kapotasana, for the foreseeable future anyway. Didn't think my back would bend much more for a while and my arms seemed to be locked, couldn't see them moving any further. Was OK about it though, happy that I could drop back and at least grab my toes, thought I'd concentrate on trying to come back up with at least some semblance of grace.
In finishing sequence though I discovered something in my back bend. I'd always put my hands above my ears when I pushed up but this time I had my hands in line with my ears. Not much leverage at first to raise up but when you get a couple of inches off the ground it gets easier and the back bend seemed much deeper. Wondered if this was something that would help my Kapo.
Tried it tonight and though I couldn't land my hands more in line with my ears just knowing I had more movement in my arms than I thought allowed me work them closer to my feet and get as far as my instep. Had the feeling too that I'd be able to go further too. Reaching the heels seemed like something that might be possible rather in the realm of fantasy I'd thought only the day before.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

From what I see in the video, I'm sure you can get your heels with an assist from a teacher.

Have you tried standing up from a backbend recently? You seem bendy enough to me...

Grimmly said...

Can't help getting fixated on reaching the heels but I guess I know it will come now. Probably more important to work on a smoother dropping back and coming back up as well as my breath which is all over the place.
Kapo has helped my backbends, I'm getting in closer to my feet and can feel my weight shifting from my arms towards my legs. Been trying to come up but still haven't got the coordination sorted out, able to rock up onto my fingers but cant seem to get that forward motion.
Gained a lot of confidence from Kapo for my drop backs, able to hang in the air longer and further back (I know I know, supposed to be the other way around, but this way seems to be working well for me).

susananda said...

Looks good, your hips are a lot further forward. I concur with anon - with someone to hold your elbows down and in and then push them towards your feet, you'd get to your heels in no time. Kapo B looked good too, now stay there 5 breaths and come up!! B I find harder work than A, but coming up is easy - if you can do laghuvajrasana then you can do it.

Grimmly said...

Thanks for the encouragement and especially for the inspiring Laghu comment. If i can get as far as Laghu then of course I can come the rest of the way. Seems much less dauntng seeing it that way than thinking about coming up all the way from kapo. By the way Owl said you had great post on kapo from last summer but can't find it.

susananda said...

You're welcome :) Yes, coming up from laghu is much harder, you go all the way down to head on the ground right? So from kapo B, you are already relatively speaking most of the way up.. you just have to get the weight forward and bring your arms over. Bit confused when you talk about coming up TO laghu.. your body is already lifted much higher in kapo B than in laghu, right?

That was nice of Owl to say. I don't remember specifically posting ABOUT it (might've done though), but I did post a photo http://susananda.blogspot.com/2008/07/youre-as-young-as-your-spine.html

I need to go back and label all my posts!

I made a dropback video I tried to post on Sunday but I've never posted a video before and it didn't seem to work with blogger.. said 'loading' for ages, never finished. Any tips??

Grimmly said...

Susan i'm an idiot I was thinking of Ushtrasana when you were talking about Laghuvajrasana.

Re Posting videos (looking forward to seeing your JB)I think your video quality is too good. Found it quick to post when I was using my camera phone but couldn't do it with my new Lumix because the quality is too good. OPTIONS seem to be record it on a lower quality setting if your camera has that option or use something to compress the file. I use Quicktime Pro. There's a setting in File "export to web" which creates a compressed version of the file which uploads to blogger and Youtube OK although it still takes a little longer than my phone used to. I find it best to write a line or two of your post then start the uploading the video while you continue writing the post. takes about five minutes with my camera if you dont have Quicktime Pro then you might be able to compress the video using the editing software that came with your camera. hope that helps.

susananda said...

Hmm.. thanks for the advice. I will check the software options, must admit I don't use any of the editing functions at all.

Even if you were thinking of ustrasana, your reasoning is correct :) And if you can't do laghu yet, get practising, that's what it's there for!! :)

Grimmly said...

No I just got confused. I do Laghu though coming up is pretty lame. Can't reach my knees in Laguh only my thighs though it's not my fault, my bones are too short, I saw this DVD and .......
Good luck with your camera, i thought only guys didn't bother reading instruction manuals : )

susananda said...

Yeah, I 'don't read the manual' in a different way from a guy, i.e. I'm rubbish at figuring it out on my own... Yes, why bother with laghu when your bones may be too short?? Good thinking! But if you WERE to attmept it, I would advise holding the ankles then go back with straight arms (current way), rather than sliding hands down thighs towards knees (old (easier)) way : )

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.