
Two screen shots from the video I posted last night. The one on the left is my attempt to come back up from UD taken at the highest point. The shot on the right is of me dropping back at the point I lose it to gravity. A few days ago the shot on the right would have had to be taken sooner as I tended to lose control as soon as I began to take my arms back. Due to the Sweeney exercise I'm able to keep control a little longer. The shot on the left represents my best attempt to come up so far. It does seem to help to try coming up after dropping back rather than starting from a UD, feet, legs, hips, chest, arms....all are in the right alignment, plus there's the muscle memory of where you were a few moments before.
Looking at the shot on the left I can see that I've managed to get my hips over my feet but that they are not as high as the shot on the right. The angle between my thighs and my calves is ever so slightly less on the right and I think it's that I need to aim at (look at how much of the corner of the radiator you can see behind me). If I forget about the top half of my body and focus on reducing that angle, of getting my hips a little higher and slightly further forward then it should carry me up.
In fact when I think of some of the dropback assists I've seen, the teacher has their hands on the hips lifting and drawing forward.
2 comments:
Hi,
about standing up from UD, it helps me a lot to have my hands very close to the feet. The first 3UDs before I stand up, I concentrate mostly on walking the hands closer and closer. The hips will also be aligned much further forward, and it makes it a lot easier to stand up. Have you tried walking your hands in?
I do try walking the hands in but find it hard. More of a shuffle than a walk. Think i tend to worry about hurting my back as the walking-in motion seems to put strain on one side then the other which worries me a bit That's why i tend to go down and move my hands in each time. That said it's getting easier which makes me more confident and i can see that it's the way to go. Thanks for the suggestion
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.