I got onto the subject of the breath sequence Re. the Jump through in the middle of another post last week. http://grimmly2007.blogspot.com/2009/02/marichyasana-series-jump-backs.html
I think it was quite confusing so want pick over it a little here.
Here's what I wrote in that post.
"Need to ask Kino how she works her breath. Normal practice for jump through is, I think to, exhale about two thirds. But I have that swing forward up onto my toes then swing back and then Jump and instead of going all the way through I go high and hang for a moment Kino style, before coming down and through. That really makes the breath confusing.
At the moment I tend to lift up following my inhale and kick back while exhaling. I inhale to upward dog, exhale to downward dog. Then I inhale on my swing forward to my toes and exhale two thirds or so as I go back, start to jump up and hold coming through on the last of the breath."
This surprised Susan who understood that you "inhale all the way forward, whether you lift the hips high or not?"
I checked some of the literature and this is what I found
"...do puraka (inhalation), jump the feet in between the hands
Yoga mala Sri K Pattabhi jois p 43 (2002 North point press version)
"Do not pause in the downward dog. While inhaling, bend the knees and jump forward floating the legs back through the arms."
David Swenson Ashtanga yoga The practice manual p77
"3.Inhaling Press firmly through your hands as you spring up....4. Still inhaling...allow the legs to swing through...5. Still inhaling...A controlled landing will further develop strength.
John scott Ashtanga yoga p73
"IN 15 PANCADASANA Jump - head up"
Lino Miele Ashtanga yoga p41
"Vinyasa Seven inhaling jump through to seated position ....as long as we are airborne in the jump we must continue to inhale as the inhalation has a lifting and carrying effect. once the lift through is complete we initiate the exhale to lower down."
Gregor Maehle Ashtanga yoga practice and philosophy. p64
Which all supports Susan, inhaling all through the jump through appears to be the standard approach.
I think my "exhale two thirds of the breath" comes from Tim miller, one of PKJ's earliest western students, who wrote this in Yoga journal
"Remember to support the movement with your breath. Jumping through at the end of an exhalation, when you are completely empty of breath, is best because the exhalation also facilitates deeper movement into the forward bending position."
http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/765
Be interesting to know where Tim got it from or if it's something he developed himself. I found it really helpful when I started jumping through, and still do. Always find it easier to engage uddiyana more fully on the exhale and creating all that space seems to help curling my legs up. that said there is something counter-intuitive about it....
So Tim's style really helped me starting out, the problems came when I introduced the Kino aspect, swinging up high and holding in the air for a moment before coming down. That's a lot going on on the "end of the exhale".
I love the Kino aspect, love that floaty gravity defying aspect, there's a moment when everything just stops for a moment and I don't want to give it up. So my present breathing method below seems to be a way of employing the Tim Miller approach while keeping all that extra Kino stuff , the key being that extra breath on the swing forward onto my toes.
"At the moment I tend to lift up following my inhale and kick back while exhaling. I inhale to upward dog, exhale to downward dog. Then I inhale on my swing forward to my toes and exhale two thirds or so as I go back, start to jump up and hold coming through on the last of the breath."seems to be a way of "
Grimmly2007 Ashtanga jump back blog
Anyway Kino is coming to the UK soon, so can perhaps ask her then. http://grimmly2007.blogspot.com/2009/01/kino-macgregor-workshop-in-london-april.html
Ahhh have just checked Kino's DVD and at 30:25 in with her first jump back she says INHALE jump through....but then she doesn't have such a pronounced swing forward onto her toes as I do, but rather a quick lift onto her toes as she starts her jump through.
All that said, looking at my Jump back and Jump through in that Marichiyasana post has left me dissatisfied. That angle isn't very flattering all looks much more graceful shot from the side. (or it hides more). Noticed how busy it is, little shuffle forwards and shuffle backs (because I'm too tall for the mat?) Then there's that swing forward to my toes, is that necessary? Want to see if I can minimalise it a little, tidy it up, make it all a little smoother. About to start my practice so might take a video afterwards and post it here later.
2 comments:
At the studio I go to in KL, we are working on jumping through and getting in the pose on one inhale. Ideally, we should be at the lengthening the spine part at the end of the inhale. Then exhale into the asana position. But that is a long inhale!! It's ok with my teacher if we take extra breaths, though - as long as we are working towards it.
Yeah, that's true, you are supposed to inhale all the way to the 'look up' position if you can. Grimmly, if you had once a week led class at a shala, you would have had to drop that extra breath a long time ago I think because it would mess up the count and rhythm.
OK I'm just catching up so have to see where you go next with this..
Funny Lent started yesterday, word veri is shylent.
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.