Sunday, 16 August 2026

Towards Tick Tocks : Handstand to Backbend

Continuing along the path towards tick tocks (don't know why, but keep hearing Austin Powers in my head Going "tick tock baby yeah"). Decided to skip the shoulder stand and/or headstand to backbend and go for the main event.... in stages. This worked for dropping back so should work for building confidence here too. And in the end I think it is just about confidence and overcoming the fear.

Seemed to work OK, decided not to push it at the end and just do this for a couple of days to gain confidence. The more confident I'm feeling the more I'll feel able to get into a nice Viparita Chakrasana and lower more slowly and with more control. I'm assuming that Viparita Chakrasana to UD is the tick and flipping back over again is the tock. The tock looks like being the tricky one but think this approach shoud work for that too. Think I'm going to have to rearrange my "shala" though to give me more space.

About time I did this drop from handstand to backbend. Forgetting about the whole tick tock project for a moment this should make me confident about bringing my handstands off the wall as well as my headstands, been dependent too long.

A big hello to the person who searched for "grimmly jump back guy" from Osaka (my old home town) today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sir, are hardcore. I'm all cranked up to try this right now (well not RIGHT now), but I know the sore wrist argues against it.

Grimmly said...

Maybe not so hardcore I bailed at the end but tomorrow perhaps.
It's fine building up to it this way, felt quite controlled. I think if you can stay relaxed and take it over slowly it's Ok but if you tense up and panic a little then you land more heavily and it jars the back a little. Agin one of those things to do everyday until you hardly think twice about it.

susananda said...

God, you rock. I love that you stopped before the last one though :)

I kept thinking you were stubbing your toes on the wall??

I believe the name viparita chakrasana refers to the whole tic toc process. I think you are talking about vrshchikasana, the one with the feet on the head? You drop over from there and stand up I think, then do over and back (VC). Not sure though, as my experience is limited to being asked to do it once last spring and finding it so completely beyond me that I haven't even felt curious to try it again. I should try against the wall like you, but I'm probably too lazy. I suspect though, that it is exponentially more difficult from the floor.. oh and I wouldn't get into the one leg at a time habit, cos it's both feet together.

The dropover part I have to start doing again, unfortunately my handstands suck so I feel like I have little control over the process.. scary.

Oh, I just remembered the video of that finnish woman Liz posted.. gotta run now but I'll try and dig the link up for you later. Amazing tictocs!

Grimmly said...

Stubbing my toes?....might have been, Ok so I did, several times and banged my knees too. BUT, have just set up a new layout for it with more space.
Yes should be legs together, was mainly focusing on the tick here, going to give the tock some thought now.
I think I know the Finnish woman Anna, she has some vids on youtube,
http://www.youtube.com/user/AshtangaVinyasaYoga
Very very good (lots of orange and yellow) her kapo is in your league. She has a DVD out series 1-3 but about £60, ouch.
Lauren, Owls friend is excellent at this too. (she has a yurt)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8JiSQmCvD0&feature=channel_page

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.