Sunday, 16 August 2026

First proper...ish Supta Kurmasana, don't have to cheat any longer


I've always used the cheat in Supta Kurmasana. Once in Kurmasana I would shuffle my feet towards eachother and work one over the other and tuck my head half under. Hadn't really bothered me too much that I couldn't get both legs behind my head and go down, not until I started moving into Intermediate and was facing up to Dwi pada sirasana.

At first I found Dwi Pada Sirasana funny, I would end up falling over rolling all over the place and giggling to myself time and time again. After awhile it stopped being funny and would end up in curses. Luckily Yoga nidrasana follows it which I find very relaxing, allowing me to get my yoga head back on.

Why couldn't I do it ? was it balance, shoulders too big, (especially after all the Karandavasana intensive), chest/back too broad......? But the weather has warmed up a little and I took my shirt off this week allowing me to use the sweat to slide my leg over more easily and Voila! OK, it's not pretty yet, not symmetrical, but it binds and stays put and I'm over the moon about it. the balance will improve now and I'll get used to bringing that left leg down a bit deeper.

Intermediate today so I can try Dwi pada sirasana and see if I can stay upright.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hah! I still do the cross-and-duck, mostly because no teacher has told me to change it, nor has any teacher modified my K/Supta K. But the green board, back in the day, said that some teachers will have you enter Supta K from Dwi Pada once you're doing Dwi Pada in Intermediate. Probably varies by teacher; many things seem to.

Grimmly said...

I was never sure. Was trying to find the quote about your feet looking like a bow tie....mine are like a bow tie as tied by the town drunk.

dr said...

left leg first!

Grimmly said...

I notice Maele says left first though yoga mama doesn't specify. Will try left first tomorrow, thanks.

Grimmly said...

Bugger, can't do it with my left leg first, keeps slipping off. Why should it be left first, is it to balance up all the right leg first in Lotus?

(0v0) said...

Yoga mama does leave many areas unregulated.

Grimmly said...

Yes, yes, I noticed I'd written yoga mama rather than yoga mala...kinda hoped nobody would notice. Your a lefty too?

(0v0) said...

Before you can do 3s they make you pass a test to prove you have trained yourself to be ambidextrous.

Also, you have to be able to play sax with your toes.

LiLi said...

Hi Grimmly,

I am very inspire by your home practice, thank you for sharing
I do not have an asthanga studio close by where I live ( there is one an hour drive away and I tried to go there to get help once a week)
so I am kind of a "self" taugh with youtube and dvds, and your blogs and videos helped a lot.



I just have a quick question regarding Supta Kurmasana, I know Guruji said "Do your practice and all is coming", however for this asana it seems
that seems not coming and I have been practicing over a year,
I cannot either bind my hand or legs, some teachers can get me bind the hands (sometime) and other can cross my legs without hands binding.


I would like to know about your journey for Supta Kurmasana, did you see any improvement over a year of practice? or do you have any tips how
to work on it?

Thank You

Grimmly said...

Wow, LiLi, this a blast from the past, 2009, amusing to see this again and nice to reread the comments, hi (0v0) ( was just watching your bandha video from Rosé, loved it). LiLi I'm in bed sick with a stomach bug but will look into this and what worked for me as we'll as my current thinking. Ramaswami's Asymmetric and seated subroutines might be useful as a second mini evening practice. Here's a post from a year later showing how I was going about it back then with the Supta K. shuffle http://grimmly2007.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/supta-k-shuffle.html

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.