I couldn't decide whether to post it as I suspected it was a bit of a cheat. When Lino Miele or David Swenson do it, they lift up as if they are about to jump back and just keep lifting their hips higher and higher until they're taking their legs up into a full handstand. It's quite slow and very controlled. In mine I tend to swing forward, using the momentum to bring my hips up and on into my handstand. It's a cheat.
Of course it's completely pointless. I kind of like that Sharath does none of this kind of thing in his DVD, and yet it's fun and almost makes you look forward to Navasana. Come to think of it, anything that makes you look forward to Navasana can't be pointless.
Here's Boodiba showing us how it should be done. http://boodiba3.blogspot.com/2009/04/saturdays-primary.html
Am doing a lot of Primary at the moment (trying to tidy it up a bit before visiting a YP) so will work on the proper version and see how it goes. Day off tomorrow so I'll post something on where I am at the moment.
5 comments:
Oh hardly cheating at all!
(I didn't wait to watch it :))
Well there's a Navasana and there's a Handstand.....it's what happens in between I'm not so sure about, but thank you. Just tried it your way and ended up on my nose.
You are cheating?? It looks good to me, though I guess you could land more slowly. Not sure what Cary will make of it as nobody does it at our shala, but I'm going to build up your reputation beforehand, you are a phenomenon having taught yourself and documented all this stuff :)
What's your star sign??
Yes, was disappointed with the descent, was better the first time I did it.It's basically the same coming down and through as I usually do in my jump through, this is more of a controlled fall to arse.
Have started to wonder why I think it's cheating. I mean it's not in yoga mala or anywhere else. It's just a little flourish, an intepretation. I wanted that lift up to handstand that Lino has, John Scott too I think, but then that's just strength and power and probably going to build muscle which I dont really want. Mine is more about shifting the body weight, I think I like that idea, maybe I can work on making it more controlled and graceful, it's just a bit of fun(kino throws in a press to handstand in her DVD). I certainly wouldn't try it at YP or anything else fancy
No no,, don't big me up. Been doing Primary with Sharath all week to tidy it up before Sunday especially, my breathing and count. Now I find out from Kevin that Cary is Drishti police... and there's me watching Lost and The Wire during practice..... OK was kidding about Lost.
Oh and I'm a LEO, a Rabbit in the chinese system
Leo, that's excellent, me too! I was close, going to say Aries based on your will and tapas :)
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.