Sunday, 16 August 2026

Chasing the Duck, Plan B Urdhva Kukkutasana A, updated


I didn't manage to come up in Karandavasana yesterday but came up with another way of working towards it. Urdhva Kukkutasana A, nicked from 3rd SHhhhhhh. The idea is, you have to make sure you come down a lot more slowly in Kukkutasana, you can't cheat and whiz down or you'll take your arms out. Also you have to stay engaged or you drop on your ..... lotus, and my backside is too bony to make a habit of that. (thank god for manduka!).



Now I haven't managed to hold it long enough to see if I can go back up again yet but I'm thinking I'm not going to be as locked up as I am in Karandavasana so I might be able to work on that lifting motion more freely and then transfer the whole process over to the Duck.

Nice plan, best of all it's a fun asana to work on and you know I'm a sucker for handstands.


From this morning.
Managed to hold it but am collapsing my arms at the elbow, isn't this where I go wrong in Karandavasana too? Need to keep my arms unaffected as I bring myself back up in both asana. Must stop my chest from going forward too. It's not so much that I need to pivot at the shoulder but that as I bring my pelvis and back up the motion shouldn't go beyond my shoulders. More and more convinced that I can nail this in Kukkatasana and that it'll be transferable to Karandavasana, probably Press to handstand too.....in fact everything, Swine flu, you name it this is the cure for everything.

9 comments:

Liz said...

whoa! Very impressive!!
I'm addicted to handstands too, but have yet to try going into lotus. If I could sneak it in, I would, but I doubt I'd get away with it. Plus, the inevitable crashing would bring attention to my criminal activity. Maybe I'll try it at home, with cushions all around me!

Nice work!

Grimmly said...

Handstands are the best! This was my second go at it, first one was a little better, managed to hold it a little longer before I fell on my assana, didn't have the camera set up though. Didn't find it TOO hard,though you really have to concentrate, perhaps because of all the karandavasana I've been doing lately. You should give it a try. A wall helps, can't imagine doing this in the middle of a shala.
Want to hold it long enough to at least try to go back up again and see if I'm even close to it. Do you know this video on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HF7K81_ER0&feature=channel_page

Liz said...

I have seen that video! Long time ago...
The dude has a very strong back, it's so still during a lot of what he does. Amazing control. I don't think I'll be lifting out of lotus into a handstand anytime soon. I say I'm addicted to handstands, not that I do them well! ha!

Anonymous said...

Hi Grimmly!
Thought you might like this handstand workshop I found on an old post by blogger "Between Ease and Effort". Really cool handstand exercises.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jitiyCaM1GA

Grimmly said...

yes, I love this video, maybe I came across it on the same blog ages ago. Liz you should watch this if you haven't already. thanks Anon.

Liz said...

Great video! She's awesome. Some of that looks really fun, wish I could do cartwheels in the middle of my practice! ha ha!! I would definitely like to learn how to press into a handstand. I can pike and hold for max 10 breaths, but to have the strength and control to push up into it would be nice. Maybe I'll work on that some at home. I'm pretty lazy when it's not "yoga time" (unlike your relentless and inspiring efforts!)

Anonymous said...

Hi Grimmly,

I have been reading your blog recently. I have just started to blog my astanga practice and keeping it fairly private for now at least, sent you an invite though. Thought you might like this video by Wayne Krassner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frFNDT0Rpis&feature=channel_page

Grimmly said...

Thanks for the invite Helen, always very flattered to receive them. Thanks for the video link, god he's fast.

giardigno65 said...

wow, great !

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.