Sunday, 16 August 2026

Karandavasana Week : Chasing the duck, Day 6 Postponed

No Karandavasana this morning. Think I might have bruised my left knee a little crashing down onto it yesterday. Decided to practice Primary to see how it behaved and it wasn't feeling great in the asanas with half lotus, not too bad , but not quite right. Managed Garbha Pindasana (though the looser variation to be on the safe side) and it definitely felt more like a bruise than anything else. End of Primary I went for my first Karandavasana but felt a bit of a twinge as I started to bring the lotus down. Decided to call it a day and give it a bit of rest. Won't try anything silly tonight.
Tomorrow is my day off as well as Day 7 of this. I was hoping to end this week on a high, hopefully it'll be back to normal by then.

Nice to practice Primary with Karandavasana in mind and notice how all the poses can be seen as preparing you for it just as much as anything in Intermediate. I noticed this when I focused on Kapo too, and it's probably the same when you practice with any of the big asana's in mind. All the hip openers in Primary obviously prepare you for the lotus but all the forward bending too, preparing you for curling the lotus in good and tight. Pindasana comes to mind, as does moving from that into Matsyasana.

4 comments:

nemsissi said...

I hope your knee will get better very soon and please dont write "looser variation" on any of the asanas because it makes me feel even more newbie and clumsy :-(

Grimmly said...

Thank you Nemsissi, the knee's been feeling fine all day, should be good to go tomorrow.

N. you know I mean looser as in not so tight and not loser as in not a winner yes?

My looser variation isn't in Swenson. Basically I was doing Garbha Pindasana wrong up until a couple of months ago. But It's a great variation if your not sweaty enough to slide your arms through.

Basically you get into lotus and slide your right arm through BEHIND your ankle (much more space) the second hand goes through in frount of the other foot as normal. You can still roll around like that and it's much easier to come up into Kukkutasana.

(0v0) said...

All amazing. It's close.

Do you enjoy it?

As I've mentioned at other times, a summary post with your most important keys would be super useful.

Grimmly said...

Thanks Owl. Getting there, today's the day!
Do I enjoy it???? Of course can't you tell? must look at the videos again, to see if I look too serious? One week is good, I think, for this kind of 'workshop' the 14 day Richard freeman one I did was too long, was getting a bit fed up of it by the end.
Will do a summary of this today, promise, listing anything I think I've worked out about it. Have a go at Susan too, would love to read something similar from her.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.