Sunday, 16 August 2026

Developing a Home Practice Part 22. This practice we do can be exhausting

Great if we're practicing in Goa and can spend the rest of the day on the beach, going to bed at 8pm, but assuming we're working, how do we live with this intense practice. This question came up elsewhere and it made me think how I coped with this in the beginning and occasionally still do.

It takes time to develop the stamina needed for this pratice and it never lets up. Once you learn the first series you start working on improving your vinyasa perhaps, exhausting. Once your comfortable with that you start adding on 2nd and have that long long practice until the split. But 2nd is knackering too, so no let up there, and then it all starts again with 3rd. And of course you have off days when you seem to lack energy and you try to remember if the moon was full and if perhaps there is something to that lunar nonsense after all. The beginnings of a cold or end of a cold, a later night than usual, an extra glass of wine or larger helping of pasta. You can improve your diet of course and give up the drink and go to bed early but even then you have off days.

Anyway this is how I occassionally dealt with/deal with this exhausting practice of ours.

Taking the vinyasa after each Asana rather than each side helps conserve some energy. I've done that when I had a cold or was running late. I also did it when I was just getting the Jump back and wanted to conserve some energy and rather than try Jumping back and through each time approached it more strategically. When I was adding on Intermediate up to Kapo and getting really tired I sometimes did the same thing. How many Sury A' and B's are you doing? Dropping it back to three of each is acceptable, especially in the warmer months, or perhaps five A's 3 B's. Make the first four Navasana's shallow but the last one a good one.
Reflect on your practice weekly rather than daily. Focus on your Mari's one day but be gentle with the rest of the practice. Another day focus on Kurmasana's and another on forward bends. Over the week it evens out. I'm sometimes doing this with Intermediate at the moment, one day really going for it up to Kapo and cruising the rest of the series another day cruising up to Kapo and focussing on LBH. On my day off and Sunday I give myself a really intense practice and try and do each pose the best I can, the rest of the week can almost be preperation for these days.

There will be days when your practice flows and you seem to have all the energy in the world. Your present in every pose and float like a butterfly through each vinyasa. Each binding pose is fully bound and there's not a waver in your balancing asanas. Your strong and graceful, elegant and poised......Next Year in Jerusalem

Ahimsa (non-violence) is one of the Yama's promoted by Ashtanga, be kind to yourself.

8 comments:

fatou said...

Thank you Grimmly, excellent point.

(0v0) said...

Jerusalem :-)

And yes, we don't have to carve every posture in stone. Sometimes it's much more fitting to sketch it out.

Or in other words... sometimes the energy is obdurate. Sometimes it's a graphite pencil.

IME, building stamina for 2S was different from building it for 1S. Same for 3S. Just very different processes and aspects of the inner body, in my personal experience. Sometimes what gets worn out isn't the musculature but the nervous system, or even just the capacity to focus really strongly.

Also, the signs of fatigue change over time in my experience. Now when I get worn out, I get a little, well, over-exuberant--especially in my emotions and speech. As you have observed. :-)

Grimmly said...

over-exuberant? yes, but delightfully so, with verve and panache. It is indeed interesting how the different series affect you. Think I haven't been sleeping as well since I started doing full 2nd every morning, might be moody too. what's that all about. Seem to remember hearing this wasn't uncommon.
Kind of liked the sketching it out analogy didn't ya.

No, thank you Fatou for making me think about this.

(0v0) said...

I'm already getting attached to this new analogy, yes. It's kind of bad though.

But in general I do like the idea of just practicing lightly at times, just touching on postures and keeping things moving. You're good at taking it there at intervals.

A lot of people get a little sleepless doing 2S. Backbend effect, maybe.

I wonder if we could generalize that a person gets really grounded doing 1S, very rooted in the pelvis and connected to the earth in a literal way. All that hip opening and MB.

Then you leave that practice and there is a tendency to float away a little bit. Some people even get a bit flaky for a while. Lots of focus on the thoracic spine, breathing, mabye a little more UB. Sleep and emotions get a little weird, sometimes.

Craig Morton said...

Nice post man. I think that it is easy to fall into the mind set of working out at 100% all the time. This creates a lot of problems esp. if you are injured or sore, you end up putting yourself into positions when you need a rest. It's also to realize that it is OK to skip postures somedays. The important thing is to workout to your level that day, not the day's before energy level.
The whole series is like a jigsaw after everyday, it seems to get shaken up. The expression "NO pain, no gain " should really be "No pain, no pain". Thanks for a good post.

Anonymous said...

That was a great post.

I am just starting intermediate and I feel like being put through the spin cycle of the washing machine everyday.

BTW want to ask you about your bakasana B. Were you proficient at handstands before you were able to do that ? Reason I am asking is I am struggling with an elbow injury so I can't jump into it and land on bent elbows like many people do. SO it is going to be stright arms (like you) or nothing. So I am working on my handstands and holding bakasana A for longer at the moment.

Grimmly said...

hi Anon. Sorry about the injury. I guess my handstands are pretty strong, it helps that I do my jump through kino style with an almost half handstand at the top of the jump. For Bakasana I started to practice holding that longer. Then it's just a case of working on lowering more slowly and curling your knees into your armpits.

Talking of rests Ramaswami says in his book (that i reviewed today) that you should always take a short rest of a couple of minutes when your breath gets out of control. that might be just sitting for a moment and focussing on steadying the breath, or a little mini savasanas, a powersavasana if you like. Would be worried about my body cooling in Savasana but a seated moment to regulate your breath still using Ujaii would probably be OK no?

love the image of all these vague and flaky 2s Ashtangi's wandering around Mysore bumping into things and eachother after Sharath's Led 2nd.

susananda said...

60-70%, sketching.. yeah, that's where I'm at. And when I pracise 2nd/3rd at home, I take rests in child's pose, more intuitive than savasana usually :)

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.