

While moving files from the old eMac to the new iMac I came across some old movies hidden away in iPhoto. They were taken a few months after I first started practicing Ashtanga. They are all of either the Standing or finishing sequence suggesting I hadn't yet moved on to seated. I'm guessing Early summer 07, so pretty much two years ago.
I'm guessing Jun 07
Jun 09
I'm a bit embarrassed to post them as I was carrying a lot of weight then and looked clumsy and awkward, but it does go to show that you CAN do this practice even if you are overweight and not at all flexible. It also speaks to the effect of the practice.
Two more


11 comments:
Well done...
Holy smokes! That's really quite amazing. If you're not the poster child for the positive effects of Astanga, I don't know who is!
Have you experienced similar changes mentally/emotionally? Looking back on my own yoga journey, I think that's where I found my most profound (but not outwardly visible) changes.
Your 'home practice' posts give always hope and encouragment. thank you.
Hey Grimm looking good! I wasn't following you during your jumpback days but it's very cool to see the "before" images. Time can be measured B.S.P and A.S.P.--- before and after the arrival of the Stripey Pants on the scene! ;)
amazing change!
hi Grimmly
man, you're my hero
cheers,
Arturo
Amazing, well done. A picture, or in this case two, really does speak a thousand words!
Wow!! Grimmly! Amazing! Don't be embarrassed at all- be proud! You've worked so hard (as we've all witnessed daily!). I think it's super cool you have before and after videos... great job.
B.S.P and A.S.P. for sure! ha ha ha!!
Thank you for your kind comments, on behalf of myself and my stripy pants.
Kaivalya, i've been wondering about your question over the last couple of days. I'm not sure if it has affected me on a mental or emotional level. I'm a woodwind repairer, patience, concentration, attention to detail, focus, these are the tools of my trade, I think I had them all ready. I don't know that I'm calmer more peaceful, my job isn't that stressful so can't tell if I'm less stressed. I was always quite disciplined, am i more so? More reflective, analytical? My backgrounds philosophy so again I probably always have been. Maybe in all these areas i've become a little more so. A little calmer, a little more disciplined etc I imagine if you weren't this way then the practice would develop these traits more. I think I'm more in the body than I used to be, more aware of what my body is doing throughout the day as if i have a scan running almost constantly in the background with little notifications popping up all the time. perhaps this makes me more in the moment, more present. I'm finding the way I've been practicing this week quite powerful a less dynamic but possible more intense practice, curious to see if that has any effect.
Interesting question, how about you, you say the practice changed you profoundly in this way, can you expand in that, how exactly. Anyone else on this?
Scratch that, I've been told that I am calmer and less restless. She's probably right... as usual.
that is very impressive - well done! i will be sure to send any cynical non-yogis here to witness the changes.
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.