Sunday, 16 August 2026

Gone Fishing : UPDATED

Out to Lunch
Closed for the Summer
On retreat

I've decided to take a break from blogging during August. This relates to my last couple of posts on Intermediate and my previous post in particular.

The plan is to practice by the book for the next month, Sunday to Monday Intermediate, Friday Primary and rest on Saturday. I want to work on One Pointedness, focusing intensely on the breath, Bandha and Drishti with minimum distraction. I want to avoid getting hung up on particular Asana and work on flowing through the practice as a whole with a clear focus.

I've also shifted my meditation practice to the Jhanas, Right concentration, and hope to keep up a daily practice of 20-40 minutes once or twice a day.

It's kind of an experiment, the plan is to report back in September on how the the two practices relate to, and impact on each other. I'm also hoping that I'll develop the flow and focus in Intermediate that I have in my Primary that's been bugging me so much.

Though I don't plan on posting here I'll probably still keep the practice diary going on the twitter link over on the right of the blog.

Let you know how it goes.

UPDATE

OK, It's not August just yet. I noticed this morning that my counter went over 50,000 visitors. Now I know this doesn't really count for much and that 45,000 visits of those were probably me coming back to check my grammar and if my Karandavasana was even the tiniest bit better than the day before, but still, it was a nice moment.
So before I take a break I just wanted to say a big thank-you to everyone who has stopped by and an especially big thank-you to all who have posted a comment.

I went a bit over the top recently and had a rant about a teacher who I felt had slighted a friend. I might have given the impression then and in the past that I'm dismissive of Ashtanga teachers in general but this really is not the case. Here's a link to the post following my second and last visit to a Shala. http://grimmly2007.blogspot.com/2008/09/second-mysore-class.html

My appreciation of the generosity of the teachers and teaching assistants hasn't changed since then, even the teachers I may disagree with are, I have no doubt, sincere in their intentions and motivations. I've received a lot of teaching here, via your comments. Sometimes this is direct from your own experiences working with an asana or transition but often it's the generous passing on of teachings that you may have received in the past from different teachers and that your passing on to me here and anyone who might be reading.

There probably aren't any 'Self-taught' Ashtangi's. The linage filters down through the books and DVD's, The YouTube videos, as well as the blogs and forum comments that home Ashtangi's often rely on.

Thanks again.

19 comments:

daydreamingmel said...

Selfishly - I will miss your updates. But after reading your recent posts and the thoughts that you may even give up ashtanga, it sounds like it's an important step for you to take some time to really focus on your practice. For me, I couldn't recommend highly enough trying another shala visit to reconnect with your practice but then that's the way I learnt, and I know everybody's different. Anyway, good luck with August, and hope to hear how you get on!

Grimmly said...

Thanks Mel, hope to come back in Sept with something good and will keep up the twitter practice diary. When I wrote about giving up Ashtanga I was really thinking about focussing on Vinyasa Krama instead. I'd planned on practicing Primary and Intermediate one day a week, VK the rest of the week. Think I'm getting into intermediate now though. Good luck with your new blog

Anonymous said...

Righton Grimmly. Too much sharng creates another world that, although beautiful in it's own way, detracts one from the path. At the same time we occassionally must stray to know where we were.
Olddude

Grimmly said...

Not really expecting to have much to share anyway. Won't be focussing on the asana so much or taking any videos. Kind of aiming at a calm uneventful practice. Want avoid thinking about the practice and during the practice so nothing to write there either. Perhaps a twitter or two on how the motivation's going but otherwise it would make pretty dull reading.

Anonymous said...

I have loved reading your blog on this wonderful journey you've undertaken, you're definitely an inspiration.

Whether you practice Astanga yoga or not, who cares in the great scheme of things? As long as you are practising the yoga which is 'right' for you and it brings you joy, that's all that matters!!

Have a nice rest in Aug. but I hope you come back to blog about the next phase of the journey, wherever that may take you.

AC

Grimmly said...

Thanks AC, nice of you to say that. Will be back in Sept, hope something interesting comes out of this. Your a London Ashtangi right?

Anonymous said...

Yep a London yoga practitioner although don't know if I'm allowed to call myself an 'Ashtangi' with my wayward tendencies.

I roll my mat in whichever shala, do the yoga and just enjoy/giggle at my inability to make body shapes!


AC

Craig said...

Grim--I think your blog alone has been responsible for a lot of the other diligent blogging out there. There are a lot of blogs that reflect on their daily practice, but few are as consistent as yours. Although they do provide insight into other people's practices, yours has really been a leader in opening a dialogue into triumphs and challenges that so many of us go through. I personally owe a great deal of my practice to you. I hope you keep reading in August and look forward to your next post.

Grimmly said...

Craig that's really nice of you to say and I'm glad some of all this has helped your practice somewhat but i can't agree abut the first part, I still consider myself a newbie. When I think of the blogs I was reading when I started this one, Yogachickie working on backbends, Elisies wonderful Mysore musings and her practice in Mysore, which I miss and of course nobody writes about asana like Susananda. Boodiba's blogging in Goa was glorious though I had no idea what she was going on about with 3rd. Karen's work with props..... Ursula, Arturo, Liz, Joy, Patrick i could go on and on, all writing freely, honestly and unselfishly about their practice....

Yoga Chickie said...

Thanks Grimmly. I didn't know you read me back then. And now surprise, the backbending work continues....

Grimmly said...

yep, even made the lamest of lame jokes on your step ladder YouTube video....something about taking it step by step (sorry). Even tried it but I'm too big and got stuck, very embarrassing.

Yoga Chickie said...

Oh! Right! I forgot all about that!!! LOL...You were the one who said you were going to do the same thing...and because I didn't know your inclination to do insane (I am smiling as I write this) things like jump through with a blindfold on and do cold dropbacks (at age 47! or any age for that matter), I warned you off of it. Looking back, I can see that a little stepladder usage is nothing for you!

Craig said...

I guess what I meant was that when you bring up all of the blogs on yoga, so many are either half started, have a last posting of 2 months ago, etc. I wasn't trying to diminish the hard work of so many dedicated bloggers (of which I enjoy many of them), but rather recognize yours as in the league of some of the best.

Grimmly said...

Always nice to be appreciated, your own place is looking good, really liked your posts on Tim Miller's place. Workshop posts are always a winner too. I like how there's more use of video now, but then I remember those great jump back video's on Mysore musing a couple of. Years back. As you said earlier, great place the Internet.

Dharmaparma said...

Hey I took a whole year off blogging, then couldnt remember my login, oops enjoy the break

ashtanga en cevennes said...

HI GRIMMLY!

(That's all ;)

Grimmly said...

Joy! your back, excellent.

tamethewaves said...

stumbled upon your blog when i was searching for reviews re eQua towel. i wrote manduka asking about why my yoga towel slips with my new eKO lite when i did not have that problem with generic mats. they asked about the towel and suggested i try eQua so i relied on google haha.

will definitely check your blog from time to time :)

cheers!

- emma (beginner, bikram yoga)
http://tamethewaves.livejournal.com
http://vegan-manila.livejournal.com

Grimmly said...

Hi Emma, thanks for stopping by. When you get your eQua can you leave a comment on how well it works on the eKO lite, even if it doesn't work, in fact especially if it doesn't work.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.