Sunday, 16 August 2026

Sayanasana , Yoga journal shoot

Intermediate wasn't great today. I decided to go with the paper in bed with the tea and biscuits first and practice in the afternoon rather than the other way around. Changing routine is always a bad idea. Stumbled through the practice, it was OK but a big ragged towards the end. Was much more positive about it, kind of expecting some tough, scrappy 2Nd's now, but know that on a good day it comes together pretty well. It's progressing and I'm developing some flow. I had my rest day Thursday then two days of primary so perhaps a rough one today was to be expected, tomorrow will be better and Tuesdays my day off so I can really get my teeth into it. Some days you just have to roll with it


Highlight of the day yoga wise was coming across Boodiba's new Video's. Always loved the look of Sayanasana but hadn't seen anyone do it until this week. Just had to try it. Got the Yoga Journal shot which really made me question what really goes on in those Yoga Journal shoots....you'll see what I mean in the Video below.

So after four goes at it I think I managed 1/10 of a second. But I love it and why oh why is it in fourth. I'll practice 3rd seriously sometime but am never likely to do fourth so have no qualms about cherry picking the cool asana from the series, hell, SKPJ said it was only for Demo purpose anyway, free reign no(3RD too)? So Sayanasana is officially part of my home Intermediate practice, just after Karandavasana. Come to think of it the asana just before it in 4Th is Vrschikasana A, which is in my Swenson manual after Karandavasana anyway.

3 comments:

Boodiba said...

It's fun!!

4th is gonna be a weird series. It starts off with a run of break your ankles poses and then the Vrischi, then Sayanasana. It feels mish-mashy the way 2nd does. To me, both primary and 3rd seem cohesive. They make more sense.

Anyway Chris gave me the one after Sayanasana too, to try, even though I can't balance the former yet. He likes to keep me "busy".

Grimmly said...

Totally agree about Primary and 3rd, both seem to have a forward motion to them. They seem to flow nicely, one asana into the next. 2nd feels more like this section then that section. Trying to come to terms with it though, I mean I really like the Asanas just not how they're structured.

Fourth is freaky, serious Yogi shit. Can kind of bluff my way through 3rd, can see it happening, but 4th! Not sure I ever want to try Mulah bandhasana..... come to think of it though, (looking at Sweeney) once you get past that the only really scary ones are all deep deep leg behind head variations which I guess will come with time. The arm balances are tough, will take some work but doable No? The backbends not TOO scary if you have a decent Kapo (love how straight your legs (thighs) are by the way). I can see you doing all of 4th, it might be a blast too, I've had a go at Parivrttanasana A and B in Vinyasa Krama, great fun and Omkarasana looks beautiful. Which asana worry you the most?

Anonymous said...

Kino Macgregor, last summer in Chicago, said that 2nd and 3rd come in series (2nd: backbends, FBH, strength; 3rd: FBH, strength, backbends) but that fourth was a total random crap shoot. Here's an inversion, here's a deep FBH, here's some random hip opener, etc.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.