Sunday, 16 August 2026

Full Vinyasa Primary

Really nice practice this morning. I woke up earlier than usual at 5am, I know, big deal says the 4am crowd, made an under appreciated Brie and Fig sandwich (which seemed like a good idea at the time) and set up for practice.

Seeing as I was up earlier than usual I thought I'd have another go at Lino's Full Vinyasa Primary but without the video, that way I could take it at my own slower pace, take some extra breaths and dump the Full Vinyasa through Finishing.

Now the morning's are darker I thought I'd chuck down some candles I'd found lying around and make a feature of the whole dark mornings thing, try to overcome the feeling that I should be back in bed. Worked too, nice to practice in candle light, seem to notice the light change in the room more as morning comes on and you find half way through your practice that you can blow out the candles. Arturo, I remember you saying that you had the Swenson book open so it felt like you weren't practicing alone, well give candles a try, one either side of the mat, the shadows will make you feel your in a full shala.

Full Vinyasa is growing on me, I said yesterday that I found it comforting and I'll stick with that, great to set up fresh for every asana. Also, it feels good to stretch your limbs out after an asana and it's no wonder those old guys had/have such great floats up to standing when you think they were doing 40 of them every morning. I'm getting quite proud of mine actually, hips up higher and a nice gentle feet to mat.

I added in my Hanumanasana subroutine, changed Janu A into Maha Mudra with ten breaths each side but otherwise it was all primary. I slowed the breathing down and took five to eight breaths depending on the asana. I took a few liberties with Lino's full Vinyasa from yesterday too, I didn't split the Paschimottanasana's or Garbha Pindasana and Kuktasana, otherwise it was Full V.

Finishing was a surprise, I complained about Lino taking a full Vinyasa throughout Finishing yesterday and was grumbling as I followed the DVD, this morning however, it seemed to make sense. I feel it in the back a little after a 25 count Sarvangasana so it's great to come back up to standing before going into Halasana, likewise after Sirasana. It was good to take the full Vinyasa between Yoga Mudra and Pindasana as well.

The only draw back was that it was a long practice, two and a quarter hours from stepping on the mat to laying down in Savasana which only left me fifteen minutes for PMC. I felt pretty good afterwards, no more tired than usual though it was a little more sweaty but still nothing like it used to be when I was racing through my practice in an hour. Curious to do a week or two of full Vinyasa and see how it feels. I'm very tempted to get Lino's Intermediate DVD and try a full Vinyasa 2ND.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

"...hips up higher and a nice gentle feet to mat"--this I am struggling to do. Please tell me how...

Arturo said...

hi Grimmly
thanks for the suggestion. i think i'll get some candles. i am having some good weeks and some bad weeks. this week was difficult to practice and i'm about to go traveling for 10 days. sigh. i do remember practicing with candles back in SF on days when i practiced at home. it's a great idea.

the whole full vinyasa thing - even Lino will tell you that he teaches it only in workshops. as of recent, he would not do it in Mysore in front of his teacher (he would not have been allowed. maybe many years ago, but not in the last 15 years.) i think Guruji's opinion was that the body gets warmer on the half vinyasa and colder in the full vinyasa so he stopped recommending it. or maybe he needed to shorten the practice because more people where showing up in Mysore. it does take a huge amount of effort to do the full vinyasa sequence, so you must be getting quite strong.

cheers,
Arturo

Grimmly said...

hi Melanie, have you seen this video on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90pFU8YsTso

It helped me when i was working on Handstand. Once you can get your hips up there I think it just becomes a case of jumping form downward dog just past the point where you would normally hover your hips to go up to handstand and then kind of pivot your feet in. I'll try and do a post with video and a screenshot breakdown for you on tuesday.

Melanie said...

Just watched Sadie's Super 30 (I love her). Great tip Grimmly, thanks! Looking forward to your video post.

Grimmly said...

Haven't forgotten about posting on the gentle float up Melanie but the best ones seem to be happening half way through the practice. Made a Video last week but it wasn't quite right, will try again tomorrow.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.