Sunday, 16 August 2026

Vinyasa Krama Hands locked behind back sub-routine leading to drop back

The 'hands locked behind the back' sub-routine is part of the 'On your feet' Vinyasa Krama sequence. In the book the sub-routine comes early, before the forward bends (after the hasta variations in mention in this post http://grimmly2007.blogspot.com/2009/08/vinyasa-krama-hasta-variations.html ) but I like to do it at the end of my standing forwards bends and lead it into a drop back. This is before my first Sury of the day. After the drop back I do some complete forward bends stretching up and back as far as I can and then folding over. This leads into my long Uttansana and then finally the Surynamaskaras.

I like how the hand positions give you support as you bend back. I never used to be able to hang back for more than a few seconds because I wasn't able to take a breath, this routine has helped me overcome that. I think it's helping with my Kapotasana too,

3 comments:

susananda said...

I love those variations... so juicy!! Imagine now that 8 hours a day at a desk await me, I'll be standing up and doing them in the office....

We'll be there every Sunday. When your subconscious is ready :)

Linda-Sama said...

http://www.namarupa.org/magazine/nr06/downloads/05_NR6-Srivatsa.pdf

an interesting link for you...

shanti.

Arturo said...

hi Grimmly
i love these photos. did you see the composition with the clock in the wall? the first of the movements of the Lion Sequence in MS' book has the arch back movement. i think today i'll try the support you illustrate here.
cheers,
Arturo

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.