Sunday, 16 August 2026

Exploring 3rd series ; Urdhva Kukkutasana


I first learnt about 3rd series from Swenson's DVD, he starts off with the handstand version of Urdhva Kukkutasana , which I think has been shifted to 5th series now. It's still my favourite so I've kept it in. I forgot to try and go back up while in handstand and dropped to a headstand instead, which was annoying because I was thinking about it last night. Now that I'm able to go back up in Karnandavasana I was wondering if it would now be possible to do the same here, oh well next time.

Still need to get my lotus up tighter, was better when I was doing it in shorts earlier, the longer trousers seem to trap my knees somewhat.









This is fun but there's a nagging question that's starting to bug me.

12 comments:

Boodiba said...

What's the nagging question??

Very cool on the Urdhva Kukku from handstand. I can't do that! I only tried a couple times, back when I was handstand queen. I'd have to practice it awhile to get it for sure. I suppose Greg wouldn't mind if I did it in class, but with all the arm balances coming I'm never in the mood for more lifting!

Urdhva Kukku C - the correct vinyasa (now at least) is to get in lotus, then pick it up & swing it back through hands. Then put the knees behind the hands & hike it up the arms...

susananda said...

What is the question?? Don't be a tease.

I might try these later! Not the handstand tho :) the rest look doable...

karen said...

My money's on an existential question that warrants a separate post...

Boodiba said...

Well I just popped over to chime in, and the word verification is "fluck".

Ha ha! Could that be a clue?

Grimmly said...

There's enough arm balances, don't need to add anymore, I didn't know any better and thought the Swenson 3rd DVD was how it was done. That said it's pretty cool. I remember seeing Chuck Miller doing it on a YouTube video couple of years back, think it was him.

Have you seen Swenson's Advanced A and B DVD in Hawaii with the other guys. The old Advanced series, some mad things going on in that.

Susan you have those great twenty breath handstands now, plenty of time to curl in a Lotus, plus you have your Karanda. It's very doable. you have to bring it in really slow though, first time i did it i came down too fast and took my arms away. Felt very silly.

Karen, you know me too well........ perhaps

Liz said...

You know what I miss? The sofa cushions.
ha ha ha!!!!!

Grim, you're not holding your breath are you? Coming from someone who has had that habit beaten out of me, I finally understand that it's how a person can hurt her/himself. But you are pretty invincible.

Grimmly said...

hi Liz, i had to check with earphones but don't seem to hold my breath though it could be so much smoother with longer, slower inhaling/exhaling. Hell of a clonk the first time I put my head down (floorboards, make things sound more dramatic).

Sofa cushions are still around, the tick tock 'to be continued' post a week or two back, had about five balanced on top of each other.

Anonymous said...

thank you for posting your video of urdhva kukkutasana. Today, my teacher showed me the advanced headstands for the first time and I am searching online to see how people do them. I have been practicing for 10 years now, and it is time for me to move on. So excited to try something new even if my intermediate is not totally perfect yet. :)

Grimmly said...

your welcome Deana. Check out Boodiba's blog, if you haven't done so all ready, she has some great video's of these.

Boodiba said...

Thanks Grim!

I haven't posted the Intermediate headstands though. I'm not practicing anything on my own at the moment except for Friday primary.

Grimmly said...

No I was thinking of your 3rd series arm balance Vids that start off in headstand, thought Deana might get a kick out of them.
Was watching Kino's 2S yesterday. on her 2S headstands she lowers her legs half way and then kicks back. makes for a much softer, quieter landing. good for me practicing at home before the neighbors are up. Wish i could make ruddy Nakrasana more quiet. CLONK CLONK CLONK......

Boodiba said...

Ya I thought the Urdhva Kukkus were what you were talking about. They went pretty well today, better than usual, even though I had on layers of clothing. Odd!

I'm not at all a quiet lander :) Wonder what it'd be like if I were a larger person!

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.