So I know I get peoples backs up sometimes by suggesting that what I practice is Ashtanga, so how about I call it something else, that way nobody gets offended.

But what to call it?
Well that was easy, there it is at the at the top of my blog already. I'd intended the title to Suggest Ashtanga and Vinyasa Krama practiced at home, now I take it to mean Ashtanga Vinyasa Krama TM... at home
So what IS Ashtanga Vinyasa Krama TM?
Well I'm glad you asked.
1. Ashtanga Vinyasa Krama TM is a 'new' style of yoga (about a week old)
2. It has it's roots in Krishanamcharya's Mysore palace yoga as presented by his student Sri K Patarbhi Jois in his book Yoga Mala. As well as in the Later yoga of Krishnamacharya as presented by his student of 30+ years, Srivatsa Ramaswami in his book, The complete book of Vinyasa Krama.
3. The practice is based on the framework of the familiar Primary and Intermediate series of 'Ashtanga'. However, it's Vinyasa Krama element is found in the way poses and/or subroutines are occasionally added before or after the traditional asana of the Ashtanga series.
Thus Hanumanasana may be approached after the parasarita series of Standing either on it's own or as part of a Vinyasa Krama Sub-routine. Natarajasana may be added after Utthita Parsvasahita. Akarna Dharnurasana A and B from the Vinyasa Krama Asymmetric routine as well as Ashtanga 4th series may appear before the Leg behind head poses of Intermediate. Eka Pada Raja Kapotasana after Kapotasana, Parsva Bakasana after Bakasana, Viranchyasana B after the Janu's and Urdhva kukkutasna after kukkutasana ETC. All these additions or preparation poses and others beside are deemed acceptable in Ashtanga Vinyasa Krama.
4. However it is suggested that too many variations and additional poses may have a detrimental affect on the integrity of the framework series and thus only a small number of variations should be considered in any one practice.
5. It is suggested that the traditional Primary and Intermediate series be practiced once a week each, without any additional asanas to 'ground' the framework.
6. It is also acceptable to drop subroutines from the framework Ashtanga series to make room for the desired Sub routine from Vinyasa Krama.
7. It is suggested that Asana practice last between 60 and 90 minutes and is followed by 30 minutes of Pranayama, Meditation and even Chanting if you like that kind of thing.
7a. However, Shorter practices are of course acceptable and no doubt just as beneficial, if not more so, than the longer practice. Swenson has 15, 30 and 45 minute variations that can be used as alternative frameworks for a flexible Ashtanga Vinyasa Krama short practice TM
8. The main focus of the practice is the breath, long steady inhaling and exhaling, between 5 and 25 breathes per asana depending on the stability of the asana, and the engagement of the bandhas.

That should be enough to be going on with while I rush out, print T-shirts and try to engage Bikram's business manager the Spaghetti Monster.
21 comments:
Hey this was me soon after my diagnosis! Lots more VK than ashtanga, lots of dabbling and playing around depending on my health that day. Once I started feeling better I drifted back to Ashtanga, but I've kept the splits after the prasaritas. I haven't memorised the VK sequences, and prefer not to keep referring back to a book, I guess.
Spaghetti Monster?
I like this post, it says a lot about how seriously we tend to take things sometimes, and yes I am all for the name, love it.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I love this post! ...but seeing as you only called it your new style of yoga about a week ago, and Lew's been doing the same since her diagnosis... does that mean the TM should technically belong to her? ;p
PS. No need to rush out to print tshirts. You can do it online with Zazzle! (Tshirts, stickers, mouse pads, coffee mugs... Your Ashtanga Vinyasa Krama empire can be run by just a click of the mouse, from the comfort of your home). :)
krama as in 'i krama a pose in here and i krama a pose in there'? Is it Italian?
You need to start your own teacher taining program too and charge people thousands of dollars for it.
Floss
Hey Lew. I find all the VK asanas and sequences problematic too and got frustrated going back and forth to the book, also I loved my Ashtanga practice. this seems to have the best of both worlds, Keep the Ashtanga framework we love and dip into the VK book to pick up ideas for the occasionally additional pose either as preparation, an alternative or further expression.
thanks Claudia
yes Skipperty Lew will be receiving a letter from my solicitor on just that point. Hmmm Zazzle, must look it up. We need a logo.
Yes Dana, it is indeed italian or a least it was discovered in Ancient Egypt by the slave of a Roman legionnaire, who on running away to join the slave rebellion was given the task, by Spartacus himself, of improving the health and fitness of the slaves/soldiers. The Ujaii breath was a result of Living on the slopes of Mt Etna and the sulfurous air.
But it's a good point, a weakness of the approach is that you can over cram it with extra postures thus suggestion 4
Yes Floss, and workshops of course, i'm already in negotiations with a hotel in Tahiti.
Hahaha, excellent!
Guess it's a run to the registration office between you and lew to get the circeled "R", and become the new Bikram-style yoga guru! ;-D
Hi, it's a great blog.
I could tell how much efforts you've taken on it.
Keep doing!
Skippetty i designed a T-shirt on Zazzle, thanks for the link. Actually i kind of like it and want one printed up.
I am now a follower of your yoga. I will write a formal letter to come to your shala, where you can put your hand right on my mula bandha. Sound good? Money to follow.
Ahhhh forgot to mention, gone for the Vinyasa Krama verbal assists rather than the Ashtanga hands on variety. No Shala as yet, still looking in to setting one up in Tahiti.
I think you need a tiara too!!!! And for special occasions maybe a tutu?
I think maybe i have the legs for a tutu, but don't have the hairline for a tiara
OK I'll get the tiara then. It can be a team effort.
Nice tee-shirt! You have created the perfect slogan "be flexible". HAHAHA. I demand my referral fee for sending you onto the wonderful world of Zazzle. Heh. Alternatively, I will accept a percentage of your Tshirt royalties too (hey, this money-making business is pretty fun!)
PS. I like the "new" look... your website, like your practice, is constantly being refined. I find that very amusing. :)
why call it anything? yoga is yoga.
just sayin'
Thank you Skipperty, am a little proud of the t-shirt I have to admit. Bit expensive from Zazzle so will try to print myself off a couple elsewhere but might be tempted to get Zazzle to make me a mug up.
Congrats on moving on to Intermediate....oh your happy now but wait till the kapo and karanda blues come to town : )
You have a point Linda, but then going by the discussion on your blog about how old yoga is, which is really a discussion of what yoga is, calling everything just yoga seems just as problematic.
I have an image of me going to a yoga class, expecting an Ashtanga style only to encounter Anna Brett...... which really wouldn't be me : )
Same for the internet, people are busy and there's a lot of yoga on the net, how to find the kind your interested in without signs and signifiers.
I thought I was just practicing Ashtanga but in exploring this practice and trying to make sense of what I do every morning I seem to upset people. the problem is because i blog about my practice, thinking out loud, gets peoples goat up. Calling it this perhaps gets around that. besides it's an interesting experiment, and gives me a freedom to explore the kind of yoga practice I want and how I want to go about practicing it.
It's a thought experiment.
hi Grimmly. i like it, i like it. hey, does that viny krama book have good pictures? i'll be looking at my copy in 2 weeks. i like pictures. it makes practicing easier.
cheers,
Arturo
Don't worry Arturo, it's all pictures, good ones too.
I'm with Linda-Sama here. It's yoga. Who cares what you call it. Who cares what you "are"? You spend waaaay too much time defining things - what each day's practice will be, what to call yourself as a yogi, what to call the yoga you do. That's not really the spirit of living in the now, is it.
Of course I do YC, I have a philosophy background, can't help myself but I don't consider it serious thinking, more a case or worrying the practice, rolling it around in my hand, teasing it, playing with it if you like. Wouldn't want to think about it too seriously in case it disappeared in a little puff of smoke. I enjoy fiddling with it though.
Somebody else said something about living in the now here recently, who was that?
I've spent the last twenty years studying ontology, I'm not convinced that 'living in the now' is coherent, possible or even necessarily desirable.... but the jury is probably still out for me on that one for another twenty years.
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.