I'd ordered a new Manduka eQua from AllergyLiberation.com. On choosing a colour I went for for Sunset, expecting a bold, reddish towel.
However, when it arrived it was on the pinkish side of Pink. Though great to practice on, I had a little rant on the blog about
it's pinkness and the loss of my manly reputation in my workshop.
Clearly, there are some self-realized yogi's at Manduka who, rather than take offense, were chilled enough to see the funny side and immediately offered to send me a more manly towel.
And here it is.
Now this is a macho yoga towel. Grey, dare I say charcoal even and there is nothing pink about the bold red trim. THIS is a manly towel.

It speaks of practicing Ashtanga down the pits of the Rhondda Valley
As it happens I've kind of become attached to my pink towel, in a bright light it is, it's true,
quite pink but in the candle light it has a much warmer blush.
One thing I did notice this week was the difference in size between the old Manduka eQua and the new. The old towel, the lime green one (next to the new manly grey one )below, is quite narrow. Having got used to the wider new eQua over the last couple of weeks, I found it a little irritating jumping back on the old one, the seam being in the middle of my hands. Next to it is a picture of my brown Yogitoes, also narrower and a little shorter than the new eQua.
8 comments:
That is wonderful news, I was really worried about you and the pink one, hee hee hee. Good for the Manduka people, I am glad that they are listening, speaks highly of their respect for the brand.
I may be getting mine soon, I promissed myself I will get one for the srping, and I think I am beginning to feel the spring in my bones...
enjoy
Ha, ha! So you're no longer 'in the pink', eh?
I have the charcoal eQua and I love everything but the colour. I wish, wish, wish (and I'm secretly hoping that the Manduka Overlords read this) that a range of more 'exciting' colours could be offered.
I mean, 'kale'? Seriously...
How about orange or a bright turquoise? I'm thinking neon, lets-wake-the-ashtangis-up-in-the-morning colours.
Thank you Claudia, yes really nice of them. Which colour do you fancy?
I love the grey, always seemed such a shame to cover up the mat. I wish they'd make an Orange one too, Oh and what I'd really like is a striped Mysore style towel, kind of like your profile picture Kai.
Manduka really pays attention, eh? That's nice. We're yoga twins now, by the way! I have the gray one with the red trim as well, and I absolutely love it. I can't remember how I practiced without it... Oh wait, yes I can, by slipping and sliding and straining. Congrats on the new towel, you're building quite a collection.
LMAO! My youngest son's favourite colour is pink (still, after a year of school, though he did take the pink fairy tag off his schoolbag after some teasing from other kids - mostly girls). I adore his "don't-care-about-others'-opinions" nonchalance.
Manduka came out with some great new colors recently. Girlie colors like lilac and sunshine but also some nice ones like sage.
Someone wrote a workshop report recently Misanthropic about using the bandhas to keep steady on a slippery mat or was it while standing on a normal towel, who's blog was that? Sounded like an interesting experiment but I'll stick with my eQua thank you very much. Really happy with the grey too. Like practicing on soft and dusky chinchilla pelt this morning.
Lew when I was ten I had a pink shirt which I seem to remember wearing with a blue suit while comparing a school beauty contest I'd organized in aid of charity. I remember thinking I was the bee's knee's. How embarrassing, not the pink shirt but the beauty contest.
I love how you put that Anon.'...some girly colours...but also some NICE ones : )
hi Grimmly
pink has girly associations in western countries but not in eastern ones, where it's just a variation of red, an auspicious color.
cheers,
Arturo
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.