Sunday, 16 August 2026

Press to handstand, handstands, float ups

Since doing the Inversion sequence the other week I'm on a balance kick. Not just handstands but the 'On one leg' sequence postures as well. So its' long handstands, headstands, Shoulderstands, Standing marichi's tree pose variations, one leg squats......

My handstand is coming on, getting stronger, more in control which allows me to start playing with the handstand version of scorpion, what's that called Taraksvasana? (picture on the left). Still a long way to go with that. I find really arching the legs over, kind of like in Slambhasana (locust) countering it with bringing the chest through then bringing the legs down seems to be helping me get a little deeper but those feet are still miles from my head. Oh and when I start contemplating tick tocks, I notice how far away they are from the ground, flipping over really freaks me out. I mean I know my body will go that way, I do urdhava Danurvasana every day but knowing and going ahead and doing are two different things.

The press up is coming along, I thought I'd eliminated the little 'hopette' at the beginning but it seems to come back. But the Pike up, I dont know, will I ever get that. The float back up to standing is nice and soft now and in theory I should be able to take that back up before lowering all the way , perhaps that's the way to go.

Here's how it should be done this is Laruga's blog Peaceloveyoga, some good tips in her comments to that post and the best quote of the week

'Giving each movement a beginning, middle and end, even the simplest of movements...'

Just been over there and noticed she's just posted some excellent shots of the Icelandic volcano cloud that's messing with out airspace

4 comments:

hongkongstuey said...

I found mastering a nice slow controlled lower down from handstand the key to getting a controlled lift up without the initial hop - not quite got it fully straight legged on the way up yet but its coming.

all things handstand are just sooo much damn fun its hard not play around in them all the time

Arturo said...

hi Grimmly
great picture. it is a delight to see Laruga's graceful flow in her practice. i didn't check that one you link to, but i will go back to her blog to see it. (it's reaaaaly slow to watch videos over here.)
cheers,
Arturo

Grimmly said...

Hey Stuey, yes saw a great video on this recently on Youtube but can't find it. The guy lowers down very slowly and hovers with his legs jut by his wrists and then goes back up again, hang on I think it might have been David Kyle, here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1tdB9VffKc

She posting lots of video's at the moment Arturao, wonderful stuff, they tend to be short too.

gracejenna said...

Good video plus the good article certainly made this segment amazing.Keep it up!

lifestyle

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.