Have to say, it's making such a difference to my practice. Been asking myself for years, if I really need a fancy meditation cushion. If your asking yourself the same question then YES, you do!
I've sat on all kinds of things, folded blankets, corners of futons, sofa cushions, buckwheat cushions, pillows........ but nothing like this. I do yoga, it shouldn't matter, right? I should be able to pop my lotus and sit on a rock somewhere, but this is just perfect, straightens the spine nicely, never felt so comfortable, so settled. Best of all though is pranayama. The shape of the cushion gently presses in just the right place for mula bandha, much gentler than the heel of your foot, it's enough. I seem to have more control over my bandhas which seems to make the breath a little more relaxed, I did twenty minutes tonight and wanted to do another twenty, felt the same about my meditation. Only thing is, throughout my meditation I couldn't stop it popping into my head again and again, "This is a damned fine Zafu'.
7 comments:
I usually sit on some folded blankets or throw pillows. I've never used a zafu. Thought about buying one before, but they always seemed pricey for a simple pillow. Hmmmm....may have to get myself one now.
I've got a set, but I rarely use 'em!
Yes, it makes the world of difference. I used to have one just like that and loved sitting for meditation. Now for pranayama I am using what BF got me as a present, its a zafu but in a V shape of sorts... very comfy, helps me keeping the back really straight for those retentions here is the one I have ( link) http://www.amazon.com/Hugger-Mugger-V-Shaped-Choice-Cushion/dp/B000C9KST2/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1271377028&sr=8-23
Just had a look at your link Claudia. I've used something similar, it's buckwheat. it was OK but perhaps because I'm heavier I'm preferring the kapok, and the shape, love the shape. just can't wait to sit on the thing, how stupid is that : )
hi Grimmly
i love mine for the same reasons. i could not bring the tatami mat with me from SF, but i brought two square safutons to go under the safu. to have the space laid out invites you to do meditation.
cheers,
Arturo
You had tatami in SF Arturo? I miss it, we had two beautifulbtatami rooms in our old house in Japan, full shoji in between too. Would love to be able to do my practice in one of those rooms.
Looks like a great corner to crash out in after a night down the Pub.
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.