Yesterday, I had my first Hanuman 'touchdown'. OK, bit of a cheat, I lean slightly to the side to get my buttock down, the other side, below, is probably a better reflection of where I honestly am, but close, it's getting close and more importantly, comfortable.
Hanumanasana, doable after all, who knew.

So Madonna, her 'Sticky and sweet' concert was on TV last night. Does Madonna still practice ashtanga? Does anyone know? I googled but it just talks about the 90's, wondered if she still does, I mean, she still has Ashtangi arms and her 'Black Beauty' Les Paul Custom is surely suggestive of a Manduka.
Just curious.
Latest approach to practice seems to be working out. Simple Vinyasa Krama core asana practice in the morning( tadasana, a Sury, a rotating daily short asym subroutine, long paschi, Shoulderstand prep, 5 min shoulderstand, UD, 10 min headstand with variations, Shoulderstand/finishing, baddha Konasana, padmasana) leaving lots of time for pranayama and meditation and then Ashtanga, in the evenings mainly Intermediate(Primary Fridays), feels like the best of both worlds.
UPDATED
Just got in from work and still no Jois Primary/Intermediate DVD, maybe tomorrow, was counting on it to motivate me into getting on the mat for 2nd. Oh well, deep breath......
8 comments:
Hanumanasana is such an important pose. It helps to perform so many poses. I'm working on it, too. It improves, I use props, blankets and blocks under my hands. One has to be carefully. I think I overstretched my right leg when I practiced too ambitiously the forward split. I also work on side split.
It interests me, too, if Modonna is still practicing. Linda could know it...hahahahha.
Hey, I like your new header pic!
I'm pretty sure Madonna is still at it. I read an article in the last year or two (can't find now) where she mentioned it. So...maybe?
This is great! There's hope for all of us :-D
I stopped working on this pose after I injured my hamstring. Might be time to get back into it.
Had a conversation with ashtangi (teacher) friends about a year ago who said she doesn't anymore. Also after that dreadful picture with all the veins last year it said in the press she had a new trainer and didn't practice ashtanga now, blaming it for her ridiculous looking arms. Actually lots of the "famous" ashtangis allegedly no longer practice, Gwyneth being another (rumour has it). Not that I'm a gossip or anything ;)
No, this is not gossip, this is sharing valuable infos.....thanks, nice to know....:)
I agree, wonderful posture, be happy when I can get those hips in line and not lean off to one side. then of course you can if can bring the back leg up into Krakachasana and you have all sorts of things going on all in the one pose. Side splits, really can't see that happening for me, i know we say that all the time but this time I mean it...really.
You like Maya, thank you, kind of feel it's a bit much, bit in your face but can't work out how to make it smaller.
I had a little hamstring tweak for awhile too kai, takes for ever for it to sort itself out, i figure mine is around 90% now, still a bit cautios with it but with enough prep I seem to be OK. This is from an evening practice so that probably made a difference.
...and on to Madge, Maya thinks she is, mel, thinks not. I don't know, she's very muscular here and not trying to cover it, can't imagine her caring so much what people think. But then she would have got herself in the best shape possible for the tour. It was a really a long show, I had it on while I was reading and it went on for a couple of hours at least, she works hard. I should pop down the pub and ask her myself.
I think neither Madonna or Gwyn still practice but I'm pretty sure Willem Dafoe does!
Maybe we need a celebrity ashtanga blog? anyone up for that?
Dear Grimmly
I'm on an ashtanga holiday, but can report a similar experience, although not with Hanumanasana. SevenPetalLotus told me that both my buttocks need to be down when I do the pigeon pose. One of them was always in the air. So two weeks ago, I asked myself how difficult it would be to actually rest both buttocks on the floor. I had to lean a bit, like you did for Hanumansana, but I did it. So maybe I could do Hanumanasana also with the slight lean cheat.
I'm also curious about the celebs situation with practice. I was inspired to practice by Madonna. It does not matter. I bet she does yin yoga after her workouts to relax the muscles. I see she's pushing D&G in big ads now. Classy.
hugs
Arturo
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.