So Vipassana and Ashtanga by accident, on a whim, a jerk reaction...
Somehow that doesn't seem quite right, doesn't seem to explain it. I've practiced pretty much everyday since (was never really one for rest days), getting up in the early mornings, in the dark and sweating buckets over a couple of hours. Mostly I've practiced twice a day, yoga in the morning, meditation in the evening and probably a little extra asana practice in the evening as well. And of course this isn't just me, I'm sure for most of us it's the same, one day a friend drags you along to a class or you pick up a book and then began to practice everyday, every morning.
On a whim, an accident, a jerk reaction....
So perhaps it's not a whim perhaps the guru within has been whispering for a while, kind of like the nutritionist within that gives you a craving for fruit, a better diet one morning.
And perhaps it wasn't an accident. For me it had to be Ashtanga, I've looked at other styles of yoga since and though I love Vinyasa Krama now it wouldn't have been right for me at the time, I needed something extreme, full on, to build the discipline.
And I keep coming back to Ashtanga despite everything that irritates and frustrates me, the contradictions and occasional absurdities, some of which I've no doubt contributed to ( sorry), for all the nonsense and pretensions it's still a beautiful practice that just seems to suit me. Perhaps because I used to run through Kata every morning in my martial art days or used to like gladiator movies and am drawn to the basic, shorts and mat simplicity, perhaps I just like to fly, either way it doesn't seem such an accident that it's ashtanga, that it's still ashtanga.
I'd titled this post 'Combinations', it was supposed to be about how I struggle to find the right combination between Ashtanga, Vinyasa Krama, Vipassana, Pranayama, how best to structure an ever growing practice, which to do in the morning and which the evening. How to work 90 minutes of Ashtanga, an hour of Vinyasa Krama, forty minutes of Pranayama and and fifty minutes Vipassana into my day let alone chanting and reading. Which gets cut back or sacrificed... typical housholder problem. However, the post seems to take a different direction,
...an accident?
5 comments:
"And I keep coming back to Ashtanga despite everything that irritates and frustrates me, the contradictions and occasional absurdities, some of which I've no doubt contributed too ( sorry), the nonsense and pretensions, it's still a beautiful practice that just seems to suit me." EXACTLY! I couldn't agree more Grimmly!
I totally agree with what you're saying.
But, just how DO you fit all that into one day? Perhaps I just waste too much time zoning out....
That's the problem and why I keep switching things about trying to find the best combination.
At the moment it's Ashtanga in the morning followed by twenty minutes of Pranayama and ten of Japa mantra meditation 5:30- 8:00. I also cheat a bit and combine some of the core Vinyasa krama postures into my Ashtanga practice, so ten minutes of tadasana before the Ashtanga sury's a 5 min paschimottanasana, maha mudra before janu A, two five minute Shoulderstands sandwiching a ten minute headstand.
In the evening 6:00 - 7:30 I do a little vinyasa krama, pranayama and my Vipassana but either I have to make the pranayama shorter than I'd like or the vipassana and only a token VK.
I tend to read in the evenings while babysitting the chinchilla ( that's the plan but at the moment I'm mostly playing the new guitar) Chanting a little here and there, on the bike ride to work on my day off etc.
I would prefer to do VK Pranayama, Japa together as Ramaswami taught me but that would put Ashtanga and vipassana together and that wasn't working out.
The present combination seems like it might be the best compromise.
Sounds a lot, never really intended to practice this much, just seems to have built up.
Dear Grimmly
Hmm, I don't know where I currently stand. I use the poses from ashtanga in order, that's about it, but which poses changes weekly. I need to get back to the routine, hopefully this weekend. i want to learn the VK poses, so as to expand the practice. I sent out your cheat sheets to the printers. Would you believe they will print them in A3 and laminate them (all 7) for 30rmb? that's about 3 pounds sterling. I don't have as much free time daily for practice, mainly because studying outside of work - language and new skills - is important for continuing here.
cheers,
Arturo
Hi Arturo. i found a week on each sequence really fixed the relationships between postures for me. I Perhaps because I did Ashtanga for a couple of years before coming across VK but I seem to like/need that set flowing sequence, using Vk to adapt and expand or modify it when required. PLus the subroutines make nice mini practices pre Pranayama and/or meditation.
Envious of your poster guy, still trying to find somewhere here although Wyatt did print me the sequences up as a set of cards.
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.