This relates to yesterday's post on practicing with painkillers, more of an update really.
I've added an anonymous poll over on the right about painkillers and practice. just curious how prevalent their use is. LH refers to ladies holiday.
Woke up around half four and took the Paramol, fell asleep again and got up 5:30 for sandwich making, practice at 6am.
Painkillers should have kicked in but you wouldn't have known it, painful practice. Friday Primary so I knew I had all those forward bends to come. All this week I'd been fine by the end of the Sury's but not this morning not sure why, felt OK when I went to bed, perhaps it's the old mattress.
Thing is I know that full expression (of the postures) isn't doing me any harm, quite the opposite I feel better all day for doing the practice, the painkillers just make it easier, so I cowboy'd up and girded my loins 9 do you think that old expression refers to bandhas?) and just got on with it. Really lifting out of the pelvis Ala Vinyasa krama seems to help with the forward bends, I mean REALLY lifting out. God so so many forward bends in Primary, felt every one, Kurmasana was the scariest, nerve almost failed me but it was OK chest to floor. UDand dropbacks were a godsend. So painful up until finishing but I felt better for it throughout the day, sitting here typing this and my back feels OK, little nagging twinge perhaps over the right hip.
Tomorrow is Saturday and I'm going to take a very rare ( for me ) Saturday rest day want to see how my back feels without any practice.
All this injury talk is a bit dreary so here's ZAZ to cheer us up, thanks to Jamie for drawing this video to my attention, i have her to blame for not being able to get this out of my head all week.
12 comments:
I think the 'full expression' is only beneficial if it feels good to do so, drugs or not... I wouldn't force yourself through it like that with pain just because it made things better yesterday. And I just looked up paramol - it's paracetamol, useless as you found out. IF you're going to take drugs, get back on the ibuprofen and get the inflammation down so you can enjoy your practice. I use it very judiciously.. sometimes taking it for two or three days can settle things down... that said, I've had this kind of thing before for months at a time, but who knows if I'd taken ibuprofen more consistently maybe I would have got better sooner??? I just don't like taking a lot of it. Good luck...
How regular is "regularly" and what does "get through practice" mean? I suppose this will be heretical, but I have always taken NSAIDs -- it's not at all a surprising thing to do, if you do sports. If the general inflammation of my system is high (I can tell by how "congested" my joints feel, if there's any heat in specific muscles, etc), then I'll take an ibuprofen. I really don't think much about it at all. The ill effects (and I don't mean pain, per se) of inflammation on the system outweigh the "dangers" of an ibuprofen. At least that's what they taught us at weightlifting school :-)
God, lots of comments all of a sudden and I'm stuck up her with my itouch. Paramol isn't doing a lot and the I ibuprofen is almost too good, want to feel something at least. Going for the 'full expression' Susan because it seems to be helping. I'd backed off for a week and was hobbling around all day, a proper practice though and I'm fine until the following morning.still experimenting. What time do you fly Susan?
Yyogini was saying as much Karen about her athlete friends, I don't know, I'm just not crazy about drugs. I know I'm ina lot of pain yet when I take the ibuprofen I don't feel a thing, just not comfortable with that. Of course if I was in a Sharath workshop tomorrow I'd have no qualms : )
How regular is regular etc. I don't know, wasn't sure how best to frame it, missed that Psych class. Will leave it to everyones discretion.
Grim, when you "don't feel a thing" you mean you don't feel any of the pain, not that you actually lose bodily sensation, right?
John Kennedy, AKA Acorn, wrote an interesting comment about ibuprofen on the ezBoard a few years ago. I wish I'd saved it, because it was an excellent explanation of the mechanism by which it works... I don't know if he comes around the blogs these days, but I'd sure love it -- if he's reading this -- if he'd explain it again.
Actually, just looked this up: it's not what I was thinking of, but interesting, nonetheless. (The only drug I use is ibuprofen, but I am strangely interested in the working of pharmaceuticals.) Some interesting info about ibuprofen from John (OKRGR) and another doctor (Laproxdoc)
http://yoga84291.yuku.com/topic/1435/Tendonitis
Just the pain I'm not feeling Karen which is good but also never seems quite right you know? will re read wikipedia on ibuprofen and google your guy
I found an article about why forward bends could cause back pain. I hope it could be of some use
http://www.yogajournal.com/for_teachers/1012
I hope your back gets better soon.
http://www.yogajournal.com/health/125?page=2
Another good article, especially on page 2, where it mentions a posterior tilt of the pelvis can force the back to do all the lengthening work in forward bends. If our pelvis is tight, it is hard to get an anterior tilt, aka sticking your sitbones out.
That film is very cool, thanks for posting, never heard of her/them. Am always happy to find something so uplifting. Become repaired soon.
{*}
Thanks for the links Anon, will give those a read tomorrow.
As it starts to improve I'm starting to worry about how I did it. The practice i'm pinning it down to was a really good practice, long ( 10 minutes) comfortable paschimottanasanasa and similar Upavistha's remember feeling like a tortilla. hamstrings feel good at the moment and I have that VInyasa krama focus of really lifting out of the pelvis. It's not as if I was doing some weird advanced pose or even felt anything happen. it seems to relate to a previous injury a couple of months before where I half dropped half caught my bike in the snow, I'm thinking a weak point.
probably just have to take practice really easy for three months or so , nothing fancy, nothing too deep.
Glad you like it Loulou and thank you for the concern. Am adding another video below that one because I like it so much and it makes me miss Paris.
Dear Grimmly
I fall in the once or twice category in the poll. It was lower back pain that made me go to home practice recently. But you're already doing home practice. Hope the pain heals soon and you learn to manage it. I think I tend to be like you, waiting for a while before going to the doctor.
Cheers
Arturo
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.