Just noticed that I seem to have stopped practicing Ashtanga. It's Friday, should have done my Primary, Django Reinhardt could have counted on his left hand how many Friday primary practices I've missed since I started Ashtanga. I just seem to have drifted away from it. Working on those Vinyasa Krama practice sheets made me want to try them out so I did the Supine sequence Sunday the 23rd then it was a core asana VK practice on Monday, Lotus sequence Tuesday, Seated on Wednesday and Thursday then the Primary with the Sharath CD last Friday. That was followed by Bow sequence Saturday, the long Supine routine on Sunday and since then a long Asymmetric and seated sequence all this week. All of these sequences have been sandwiched between Tadasana/standing and Inversions followed by generous helpings of Pranayama and meditation.
At some point last week I remember thinking that I would do Primary on Friday and Intermediate on Saturday for detox purposes and stick with Vinyasa krama sequences the rest of the week as if it was my 3rd but that seems to have gone by the wayside, tomorrow I'll most likely practice Bow and Meditative sequences for the backbend focus.
Oh well, no doubt I'll drift back to it sometime, in the summer perhaps. Enjoying my practice so much at the the moment though, practicing from 5:30 to 8:00, long slow meditative practice almost hard to see where the Asana ends and pranayama begins.
Monday I had the most amazing Paschimottanasana, I'd practiced Tadasana some Sury's and standing postures as usual then the full Asymmetric sequence before going into my paschi. I just seem to fold into it like a tortilla, usually you work yourself into it right, but I was as deep as I ever go, and effortlessly, stayed for the full ten minutes. the rest of the week I've been pretty much doing the same practice to try and recapture that paschi.
Update on the beautiful new Godin guitar I mentioned buying at the weekend, seems the chinchilla likes the sound, Nietzsche' has been sitting on my knee while I practice in the evenings ( picture above).
12 comments:
That is so cute, the chinchilla on knee part, and your practice sounds wonderful, quite inspirational, looks like I might be experimenting with some VK until I heal again. I may make use of your asana sheets, they look amazing, such hard work. Sure so many people are appreciating your efforts, thank you.
Oh, Nietzche is sooo sweet... wish we could see a picture... maybe he was a musician in another life... or a yogi, or both...
So ashtanga is in one of those "gone away" moments, I would not worry as we know it does that to you it seems, goes and comes back...
Your long meditative practice where you don;t know where asana finishes and pranamaya starts sounds just oh so good...
I wanted to mention that when I pulled my hamstring a couple months back, I picked up the Bow sequence as you suggested (thanks!) and worked it into a Swensenized Intermediate series and have been doing that since. Hamstring is much improved and my backbends are actually opening up [waves hands in the air] It's a Miracle! That VK is terrific for working around injuries. Just started back to a gentle Primary this week with no hamstring trouble so far, woo hoo! So, thanks for that.
So glad you're enjoying the guitar and the fingerpicking!
Thank you エスタ, yes very cute, most of the time. he was funny last night, been sitting on my knee while I've been working on some fingerpicking but as soon as I switch to arpeggio's he's off running around the room like a maniac only to come back to my knee when I switch back to the blues.
Help yourself to the VK sheets, do whatever you want to them, cut them up, switch bits around, whatever works. Your hurt? must check you blog, not to badly I hope, been so wrapped up with those ruddy sheets I haven't been keeping up with everybody.
Ckaudia i did a post on nietzsche and his drishti here http://grimmly2007.blogspot.com/2009/03/drishti.html
nice pictures of him.
No not worried about the ashtanga anymore, i think it'll come and go in phases, mainly when i feel the need for some serious detox, the drift to Vinyasa krama has been happening for awhile, just need to let it happen naturally rather than jump in or resist it.
Pranayama is where it's at. Just saw you had a lousy day, sorry you had to put up with that inanity, sure practice tomorrow will put it all behind you and in perspective. Good that James is there with you, nice to feel loved when the world is being an arse x
See see, Maya, that VK snake oil really works (waving hands in the air too), glad Bow kept you ...fulfilled 'till you could get back to Primary, great about your backbends coming on, didn't i say, didn't i say, can we expect a new picture?
I'm always reminded how SKPJ and special K had this great arsenal of asana to draw on when someone had an injury or was struggling with a posture, nice to have all that VK ammo in the bag, especially as you say when faced with injury.
yes working on Oh papa and my falsetto, can't wait for pallet on the floor.
oh I had missed that! he is soo cute! hanks for directing me to the pix
James left actually a few days ago, so this kind of thing only happens here I gues when a woman is walking alone or with other women... we only had one very young guy from our tribe... so they just went ahead and did it.. oh well, I feel much better after a good night sleep
I hope to get deeper into pranayama too you are an inspiration
Yeah, that's you, Mr. Snake Oil. Oh, how I would love to hear the falsetto! I can't do the singing and play at the same time AT ALL. I like pallet on my floor, too. Be sure to listen to Mi John Hurt singing Nobody's Business when you start it (grooveshark has several versions), he has this great slightly-off-the-beat way of singing it. I just love his voice.
Can we get a guitar clip? I enjoyed the cooking clip you filmed a few months back.
For sure boodie but give it a few months, only just picked it back up.
I love the picture of Nietzche, he is totally into the music! you can see it in his little eyes!, so cute
You think? I remembered, in his youth I used to play my Sax in his room, perhaps he's missed it. He's not a very tame Chinchilla, won't let you pick him up but occasionally, if he's in the mood, he'll come and sit on you, though usually only when he wants a locust bean, the music seems to put him in the mood. When it's cold he'll go under the blanket and snuggle down between my feet. He's old now, about seventeen, thought they only lived five years or so when I got him.
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.