This got me to thinking. At the end of a hot sweaty Ashtanga practice I really don't want to sit on my nice zafu to meditate. I used to try and find a dry part of the towel and put it under that but an equa bolster, there's an idea.
In the picture it looked pretty small a kind of square zafu thinks I. No, it's huge, basically the width of the mat, heck there's room for two rotund monks to comfortably side by side sharing the moss.
It works though, as a zafu and being equa you can rinse it in the shower and it's dry by the evening sit, perfect.
Ashtangi's don't know what the heck to do with bolsters I swear. I need an Iyengar version of Claudia to tell me thirty-two things to do with a bolster. I came up with five.
1. An easy clean quick drying zafu for meditation.
2. A bolster for Solo Supta Vajrasana, although I think a round one works better.
3. A futon substitute for dropping back ( see THIS post )
4. A pillow for Savasana? grabbing at straws here
5. A nice firm pillow for sitting up in bed on a Sunday morning with the times.
11 comments:
Dear Grimmly
I'd love to get a bolster. The fact the cover is washable makes it really appealing. I'd have to buy it somewhere and bring it with me, because import duties would make it really expensive to order by mail to China.
Cheers
Arturo
It is BIG Arturo up until now I was using an old mat rolled up in a mat bag for Supta V and as I said shoving the zafu under the edge of the equa towel.
Arturo - where in China are you? Pure have a ton of them in their studio in HK and Manduka normally have a stall at the Asia Yoga Conference (June this year - with Sharath coming too...)
Grimmly - a few bolster aided restorative poses can be found in the following link - somewhere in the middle of the file (p.s. its abig file so will take time to download): http://www.hongkongclimbing.com/anusara_syllabus.pdf
I love lying on my stomach & watching TV, and that bolster would probably be grrrreat for that. Do you think Mr Manduka would let me review, preferably, a nice midnight blue one? Probably not. ;o(
Hope you're back is feeling better Tony.
Thanks for the link HKS must have taken them ages getting permission yo use all those photo's : ) Liked that bolster-under-the-back-legs-up against-the-wall one.
think of a nice sanskrit name for the lying-in-frount-of-TV pose and yet might be in with a chance Steve.
back is coming along nicely, dumped the painkillers and started to practice without them again yesterday and it felt OK. Still feel it around the house sometimes but not really in practice. I put it down to the yoga, cures back pain.....though of course it can cause it too as here.
:-) The syllabus was something i put together as a study aid whilst taking the Anusara Immersions - still needs a bit of tidying up
I may have 'borrowed' one or two of the pictures in it...
Well, it's going to have to be 'Spartacasana', because I've just finished the 8th series of Jack-Bauerasana.
StEvE - I predict spartacasana wil take at least 13 practices of about an hour until you perfect it... and each of them will be epic...
"copy that" hongkongstuey. ;o)
Sorry HKS thought the syllabus was something you were given, wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise.
HKS, thanks for pointing out regarding Pure in HK. I'm in Shanghai. A friend is visiting HK in the coming months and if I go visit, I will pick a bolster up. They used to sell these in San Francisco at Yoga Works, but I didn't think of getting one then. (well, i bought a big zafu and zafuton with me from Zen Center that last visit there, so i was loaded)
Cheers,
Arturo
Cheers,
Arturo
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.