Sunday, 16 August 2026

Manduka Europe and a New Manduka Prolite Mat

So the those nice folks at Manduka sent me a mail to let me know that Manduka Europe is now up and running. No longer need we pay over the odds for our mats, towels etc, shipping fees, custom charges or wait for weeks for our goodies to arrive.
'Manduka spoken here'....finally

Along with letting me know about the opening of Manduka Europe I was also asked if I might like to try a couple of samples.

Now I often get invited to review products, books (lots of books), practice DVD's etc. Last week there was a fancy Eco water bottle but I don't go to a shala so probably wouldn't use it. That's my policy, I'll only review something if I'd actually use it and if I hate it I'll say so, it's a gamble on their part.

Manduka are on to a safe bet, I love Manduka. I've been practicing on a Black mat pro for, what, three years and have three equa towels, not even sure where I putaway the yogitoes, it was OK but I'm an equa man, Manduka spoken here.

So samples. Thing is I don't really need anything, three towels are plenty, love my black mat, don't use water bottles and they sent me one of those mat carry slings once which I gave away on the TT course to someone charming who was trying to carry their own black mat with a piece of string ( got lots of brownie points for that one).

But then I remembered a post a few months back where I was trying to choose a travel mat that ran to forty odd comments many about the manduka prolite which I'd never tried ( also some on selling out to the yoga industry). While checking out the colours on their site I saw that they are now doing bolsters with covers made out of the same material as an equa towel. Which got me thinking. After practice I'm all hot and sweaty and really don't want to sit on my Zafu but an equa bolster, that might work, Hmmmm.


The Manduka Prolite Mat

I told Manduka I would try it out for a week before reviewing it.

It's now a little over two weeks and I've only been back to my BlackmatPro once, 'nuff said

OK , seriously... actually I am being serious I almost do prefer it to the blackmat. It's thinner but still has that support and cushioning without being squishy that characterises the blackmat. If anything being thinner I feel a little more grounded, more in contact with the floor, makes the black mat seem almost like overkill.

I say I almost prefer it, the blackmat is still cooler, that great big 'Fallop' sound as you roll it out, the blackmat means business and it's hard not to take your practice seriously when you step on it. The prolite feels more like a normal mat when you pick it up, it's lighter, more manageable (but somehow stickier).

Lighter, but I wouldn't call it a travel mat, there are much lighter mats around that will fold up nicely into your luggage but would you really want to practice on one once you've become used to a blackmat, Vatayanasana for instance or headstands or roll around in Garbha pindasana, of course not. For me my biggest concern on booking a holiday is where I will practice and on what. I have lighter mats but this is the one I'd take.

I'll probably go back to practicing on the blackmatpro for everyday practice but if you asked me to recommend one mat, for home, back and forth to the studio and traveling it's got to be the prolite, just wish they still did it in orange.

Coming up : The Manduka Bolster




PS. Dear Steve. If you'd like me to take a look at that slinky new 'post laptop device....

8 comments:

Mike Repede said...

Thanks again for sharing! Funny that our experiences are very similar.

After I had my Manduka PRO for about a year, I swore it was the last mat I would ever buy. (Strangely reminiscent of my wife saying her leather Coach purse was the last purse she'd buy...)

Anyway, last summer I picked up a PROlite for travel purposes. Now I find myself using it for everyday practice, particularly when going back and forth from home to studio. Often I have my 2-year-old in one arm, and PROlite in the other!

Now I find myself wondering about some of the even smaller/lighter mats for seriously efficient packing. I'll be interested to know if anyone has used an eKO SuperLite. At just 2 pounds, I almost wonder if it could get blown away in the wind... :)

Grimmly said...

I was wondering the same Mike about the eKo superLite but isn't it a different material? the prolite and Black mat pro seem to be made of the same stuff just that the prolite is thinner.

I was practicing Primary on it this morning and it was just OK for rolling around in garbha pindasana I think any thinner/lighter and it would be the same.

i find it excellent for handstands, enough support but but I feel more grounded. It's stickier too than my Old version of the Blackmat, feels very safe, will be nice for Advanced A

Mike Repede said...

Since you seem to have some pull with Manduka these days, maybe you should get them to make a PRO SuperLite!

Grimmly said...

i can't even get them to make something, anything in orange. However they're in Europe now and have the Dutch market to think of.

Boodiba said...

Boy, no one's EVER asked me to review anything. Not a single time :)

Grimmly said...

really? i told manduka ages ago that they should have sent you one of those slings because you were carrying your black mat all over NYC.

Boodiba said...

:) Thanks for trying! I guess I'm too "bad" even for reviewing. I have two Mandukas though. One lives at whatever my current shala location happens to be & the other lives at home. I DO carry that when I go drop in with C, but at least that's in the EV.

Chinoiseries said...

Seeing I can realistically only budget for one mat at the moment, I'm going for the Prolite (and hurray for Manduka Europe!) Many thanks for your Manduka reviews. I may also have to get one of those huge bolsters to ward off potential burglars ;)

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.