Patrick suggested a Sirasana variation for Karandavasana rather than the tripod headstandAs he says it's closer to karandavasana in that it's much less stable and there's more of a curling in of the lotus.
Wasn't sure what happens next. Perhaps it's possible to unlink the fingers, try to bring the head up which would be pretty much Karandavasana no? Then put the head back down, link the fingers and take the lotus back up.
6 comments:
I lotus and karanda-in in pincha position, but have never tried to put my head down to push back up. I didn't realize it was allowed, because normally I just grunt and try to keep my chin off the floor, until my teacher comes around and gives me a lift up under my folded legs to get me going, then I manage to get out of it.
It's my favorite posture, I wonder if I'll ever be able to get out of it alone!
That's what I'm doing with it right now- I use the "pincha arms" headstand variation and then raise head while lowering to get into the posture. Not sure if it will translate to being able to do the real thing, but it feels like a realistic transitional step!
"Allowed" I'm sure it's not Joy, but luckily it's one of those poses you can pretty much practice at home without much of a warm up, so who's to know.
As for coming up, I'm not finding it a problem in the variations, possibly because I practiced all that pelvis in space awareness a while ago. Also i think it might be like kapo and Laghu where you keep the legs engaged the whole time to be able to come back up. Same here perhaps in that you just dont, relax or "rest". Maybe practicing coming down a little way then back up again and keep going deeper each time. Someone suggested that to me here re the drop back.
Thanks Anon, I think pincha arms is the next step, nice progeresson, tripod, classic, pincha arms headstands and then the main event. Got to be better than just waiting for someone to help you up and down.
Yes, I see what you mean. If I transition it into a headstand after I've karanda'd-in my lotus (which I did this morning), I can come back out of it myself. But I can't karanda-out, yet, in pincha...not without an assist. It doesn't feel like the same thing at ALL.
I'm not sure that putting one's head down into a headstand (tripod or classic) would be very useful as far as learning to do this pose. That movement of placing the crown of the head on the floor changes the center of balance so much and totally re-invents where "work" is coming from. Because I'm halfway to getting it on my own and now compare it to the sensation of head-standing it... I can say they're nothing alike in terms of work and sensation. (Just my opinion... but you know who would be a great person to ask about this: Susan. )
Hello! :)
Just catching up here. Good work over your holiday, Grimmly!!!
The way I understand it, putting your head down is allowed for women :) However unlike Joy, I can't get my head under enough to get into headstand, and pushing off my forehead doesn't seem to help. I prefer to keep my head up, though it IS very interesting what RF says... I'm pretty sure my nose is well in front of my fingers, must check tomorrow.
I agree with Joy.. I can go down from headstand and from pincha and they're totally different, I reckon it's the same with coming up. You are supposed to keep your head up and that's going to totally change the position of everything else. Of course I can't come up yet by myself though, head down or not!
Of course no harm in playing around though! It may still help in some way.. and it's fun :) The pincha arms one should help anyway..
Now, my key to building lotus up there: DRISHTI. When I come up, I'm looking between my hands, near the wrist. Inhale one leg up, exhale other leg, feet together.. then I have to shift my gaze back 2-3 inches and inhale first leg to lotus, shift gaze back another 2-3 inches and exhale second leg in. Inhale, lift hips as high as possible, and exhale curl it down.
The breath is crucial too, but if I don't shift my drishti it definitely doesn't happen, I just fall back the way I came.
Thanks Susan
"The way I understand it, putting your head down is allowed for women" Your way of telling me to Cowboy up and not be such a wimp : )
Moving the drishti about to keep stable is helping. I'm ok forming my lotus and can start to bring it down....but there's a point where everything seems locked up, where i can't take it down any further and I just fall out of it. Working on trying to elongate my Pinch M now, trying to make it straighter, longer and more relaxed to see if that helps.
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.