Sunday, 16 August 2026

Floating Bakasana B

Managed to consolidate Bakasana this evening. I was afraid I might lose it by the morning, had five goes and landed every one, each a little smoother than the last.

To me it seems that I'm jumping up to a half handstand, holding it there and then employing a subtle shift of the weight forward, my shoulders moving slightly further over my hands, almost over my fingers as I lower. I think I'm curling my legs in as if I was curling in a half lotus in Karandavasana. As I lower it feels like I'm bringing my chest through and ever so slightly up. I seem to have the balance and shifting of the weight right, such that I'm not really feeling much of a strain holding it. This seems less and less about strength than about balance, guess that's why they call it an arm balance.

I'm not happy with is the exit though. I want to be able to bring myself back up a bit and float back but the most I can manage is a kick straight back. Any ideas?

1 comment:

Liz said...

The exit is a tricky one for me too... I like to have control, but I'm often told to preserve my energy (you know, that economy of motion thing). If I'm caught lifting off, I'm told to "drop" out of it. Perhaps just a teacher preference.

If you want to lift, I doubt it'll be a problem for you. You just tilt forward slightly, lift (like in Karanda!) and end up starting from a squished handstand position- then drift back. I don't float. I shoot.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.