Sunday, 16 August 2026

Lack of motivation for 2nd / getting on the mat + Bakasana

Those 108 Sun salutations really took it out of me, and yet..... (I'll get to the 'and yet' in a moment). First of all I'd rested on Saturday then did the 108 Sunday. Because my hamstrings ached so much on Monday I rested them, too afraid that I might pull a muscle if I didn't. So three days without a proper practice.

I've been finding it hard to get on the mat for Intermediate. Primary would have been OK. It's so familiar and while never easy, you can take it easy if you want to. I know it so well now that I can pretty much flow through it on Auto. Intermediate however you know is going to hurt, be hard work. your going to sweat buckets and be on your edge pretty much all the way through . Hard to get on the mat for a practice like that.


Tuesday was my day off and it took me till around 12.00 before I finally got myself together and forced myself to practice,. Yesterday I was half asleep and only remembered I was going to do 2nd half way through standing. This morning was hardest of all. In the end I forced myself not to think about it and just get on the mat for standing and by the time I finished that I hoped I would be more up for 2nd.


As it turned out, and is so often the way, it ended up being a great practice. I managed to come up really nicely in Laghu, and drop back, oh so slowly, in Kapo. My Bakasana was perhaps my best ever, and here's the 'and yet' re the 108 sun salutations. It might have made me feel like I was walking around with footballer thighs, but my arms and shoulders felt much stronger and it's really helped my Bakasana. I managed to go back on my own as far as touching my head on the floor in Supta Vajrasana AND come all the way back up again without letting go of my toes and oh so nearly made Supta Urdhava Pada Vajrasana without dropping my toe ( see video).


So Note to self: Some of those mornings you really don't want to get on the mat may well turn out to be the best practice of the week.


11 comments:

Yoga Chickie said...

I thought, according to Swenson's book, that you lie down before you take the bind in Supta Urdva whatever it's called...?

Your Bakasana B is breathtaking, btw.

Grimmly said...

Think your right about Swenson, (must check Freeman again). I seem to remember trying it that way but struggled to get my leg up far enough while upside down. This way will do for now, once I can get up without slipping off my toe I'll work getting into it properly. I kindo of like this. Was really happy with the Bakasana, have felt it coming this way for about a week but wasn't strong enough to hold it, the 108 seemed to make all the difference.

Yoga Chickie said...

Really!? Both Lisa Hill and I LOVED doing 108. We seemed to have better luck at counting than you though..maybe you did more than 108? I used small beans to count within sets of 12 and big beans to count the sets. Seemed to work. Did not make me strong like bull though.

I hear you on the lying down and getting the toe thing. It may help you though to go deeper into the bind and keep the bind when you come up though?

Arturo said...

hi Grimmly
sometimes i struggle too. this week was good everyday, except today, which was primary, i only managed to get the standing poses in after my warmup routine.
i'm not sure where the 108 sun salutations practice comes from. is that a yearly thing in honor of something? :)
i can't see videos presently. is it of the 2nd series rolling into Supta Vajrasana from inverted? it's a killer on the wrists. i hope you can get it right. the photo looks good.
cheers,
Arturo

M_in_M said...

Amazing transition to Bakasana; likewise the Bakasana!

susananda said...

Your bakasana B ROCKS! OMG. I have to land low with my arms bent and then haul it up.

YC is right about SUPV, but you know that so you'll get around to it. What helps me hold the toe is to pull on it with the arm around the back, with a view to bringing the knee into the CENTRE on the way up. If the knee sticks out to the side, there is no keeping the bind.

Speaking of having problems getting on the mat, must go....

Ahu said...

Great bakasana B! I hope to get it soon!

Unknown said...

Your Bakasana B really is great... such control - beautiful to watch... not sure if you know this already, but the 5 breaths in SUPV is actually twisted (http://ashtangayoga.info/asana-vinyasa/intermediate-series/26c-Supta-Urdhva-Pada-Vajrasana.html)
you just need to change your hand positioning... Happy practicing!

Grimmly said...

Thanks for the link Sally i see what you mean, this is why I should visit a shala once in a while.

Maya Ahu, I was thinking of you after I got it, I know it's your Nemesis.You'll nail it of course, half handstand practice seems to be the way to go.

Grimmly said...

Thanks Susan tried centering the knee more and it was better, it's coming but velcro sock and glove may well be the way to go.

susananda said...

Velcro would help enormously on slippery days.

Maya Ahu, think I kind of met you at Cary's... gave you a supta vaj assist last Monday?

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.