Sunday, 16 August 2026

Learn to love Intermediate month

Intermediate, I don't love you. There it is, I said it.
I respect you, how could I not, but I just, don't, love you.
But I shall, Intermediate, I shall.
If one CAN love through force of will alone, than I SHALL love you.

This month then, is an Intermediate Love-in.

Last night I found myself thinking that perhaps I might jump straight to 3rd, relegate Intermediate to one day a week, same as primary, and work on 3rd four days a week. How dismissive. Can't help it, I just don't love the series. I like many, if not all, of the asanas but taken together I just don't enjoy them. I find it hard to motivate myself to get on the mat, something I never really found with Primary.

To extend the metaphor, perhaps I shouldn't expect to love it, or shouldn't try so hard to feel the same way I did about Primary......perhaps I moved on too soon.

But maybe I can learn to like it, to enjoy it's company, settle for mutual respect rather than an all consuming passion. I need to hang out with it more, get to know it's subtleties.

So this month, or what's left of it, I'll drop my Tuesday flirtation with 3rd, forget calling Vinyasa Krama, or pining away to YouTube video's of Primary and concentrate on Intermediate five days a week (still spend Friday's with primary, is that bad?). I wont try so hard to love it but just try to flow with it and see what happens.



The moon was full, yet on the wane,
but a new moon shall be full again.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW
Check out this blog http://bestlivingpossible.wordpress.com/ if you haven't already, for a great couple of posts on visiting Tim Miller's Shala. Makes me want to go or at least catch his workshop next time he's in the UK

5 comments:

Arturo said...

hi Grimmly
so funny. also, that's pretty inventive of putting the photos of the asanas on a handheld.

i asked myself how practice would feel if one did many asanas blindfolded. it could be meditative, but i think i would fall asleep.

cheers,
Arturo

Anonymous said...

Hi Grim,

I've been reading the posts from Tim's place, compelling stuff.

Your romance with Intermediate has some Shakespearean proto-angst about it. "Intermediate, wherefore art thou Intermediate?" and such.

Friday Primary is still standard, no? I think that if you want approval, The System(tm) says ok.

Craig said...

Hey man--thanks for linking me up. I've emailed ashtangi.net twice but either I've done something wrong or their slowish as posting the blog. I thought maybe they had linked it up since the traffic at my site tripled, but it was your post. Thanks
BTW, i've been using the itouch in workouts from time to time as well. It's good for travelling as well, when you don't want to do the practice "alone" or want a stricter count. Good idea blogging about it

karen said...

I'll be reading along, looking to love intermediate right along with you!

When I think about it, I believe I *do* love second -- but it's such a challenging sequence, in terms of keeping calm breath and still mind.

Regardless, it takes some fortitude to practice it every day (except Friday, whew!)...

Grimmly said...

'But my father and my mother
Said we'd learn to love each other
And now I'm asking, Golde
Do you love me?'

Tevye, Fiddler on the roof
: )

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.