In my lunch break I'm reading the Upanishads or the Gita and as soon as I get home from work I throw down the mat again and do an hour or so of Yin and some more meditation. In the bath I'm reading Roberto Calasso's Ka (Indian mythology novel type thing....what the hell is this book anyway).
I eat lightly, because of Yoga I have a splash of red wine filling the glass up with sparkling water and let the chinchilla out while reading Sankara's take on the Sutra's or perhaps Yinsights or some such yogary thing.
In bed, before I fall asleep I'm looking at Ramaswami's sequences in preparation for the mornings practice.
When did this happen. It used to be an hour of Ashtanga in the morning, some Vippassana in the afternoon and my reading, mostly Heidegger, some cool novel or perhaps some Livy in the bath. I'd play my Sax, listen to some Jazz (when did I last put on a Jazz CD) while working on some Vintage Saxophone. I'd cook, sipping on a nice Red and I'd watch Lost, Dexter or Mad men in the evening while Nietzsche (the chinchilla) ran around. I'd maybe go to Oxford or London on my day off.
Tried to write to a friend this week, she'd told me what she'd been up to and I had no response that wouldn't sound the same as what I'd written to her the week before. At least then I'd been able to tell her I'd been practicing Yoga in a Yurt.
I need to get out more.
What happened to this guy?
PS. Great Karandavasana this morning, or at least the lowering part was, really slow and tight. going up pretty much the same as usual, up but not pretty. oh and did i mention my Kapo..........
17 comments:
This is so true for myself also. I'm either practicing yoga at home, going to the gym for yoga classes, reading yoga blogs (yours mostly!) and yoga journal online or chatting with friends about yoga. i've alienated my husband and other friends who aren't "yogis". :(
I was reading yoga mala and it said it used to be that one has to be careful about practicing yoga as it can cause detachment from the rest of society.
LOL, Grimm! This made me crack up.
We can all become addictive or obsessive about one thing or another. Yet, once we notice we are doing that, then we can acknowledge that we may be part of the problem and part of the solution. Don't detach yourself from your family, friends and society, bring them into your world a little bit if you can, you know they might be missing you. If you alienated your husband and friends I am sure they are hurting and feel they are loosing you. It could be they would like to know more about your interests. Maybe your husband can share in your yoga.
Regarding your friend, well if you cannot think of anything new to write to her that is different from the past week, why not ask her what she has been doing and tell her what you have done at your practice, just bring her in to the fold a little, she will appreciate it.
Yoga is not only an exercise but a state of peace in the mind, be at peace now lol.
i agree with Joy S., this is funny, bu also very sweet
I don't have this problem at the moment though, since the enormous workload is taking over my life and have hardly time for practice.
and do your friends think you're strange, and worry about you?
I had that at some point, when all I wanted to talk about was yoga
hi Grimmly
could you be going thru a first fervor? nah, that's what a priest told me when i was becoming a mystic at age 16. there is no harm in what you are reporting, so why worry? i think it's inspiring to me and others. maybe you can start offering to do practices for us, ha ha.
cheers,
Arturo
Of course I'm only half serious here, everything yogic just seem to have come together this week, it's not usually as bad as this. I think i managed to watch an episode of True blood on friday, a couple of old West Wings on Sunday and even made Lasagna early in the week, I even thought about mowing the lawn, (thought i might practice outside).
I talk about it of course but but try not to go on about it too much. Significant other is an avid reader of the blog and is the first to tell me when it's getting boring with not enough pictures and videos.
Friends probably do think I'm a bit strange but seem to have got used to it. I think it seems strange in the beginning but after a couple of years everything assumes an air of respectability. The only time i know of them worrying was when I mentioned I had sweat 2 kilo's during practice (first time i went to a Shala).
I think you've hit on a great money making plan Arturo. Send me a tenner and i'll do your practice for you allowing you to stay in bed in the warm. Could make a fortune with winter coming.
:-)
An least you will run out of books eventually.
Meanwhile, that Sjoman is my very favorite! Beautiful in hardback. And I hear there's imminent release of Mahle's 2S book, if um you like that kind of thing.
I guess so, and when they do then it will be back to Heidegger, I always go back to Martin. Upanishads are a keeper though, great stuff. The pictures in the Sjoman look great, want to get it just for them.
It does have a way of taking over your life..
I think you're in the throes of infatuation, which will develop into a life-long love affair of the highest order, but right now you and yoga are in the 'can't keep your hands off each other' stage :) Balance! I love that your wife reads your blog though, that's so good.
That track was amazing, beautiful, Daydream... I've never even heard of that guy! Reminds me of the Gentle Side of John Coltrane, where's he's playing really mellow with Ellington or McCoy Tyner (I saw McCoy Tyner quartet at the Jazz Cafe in Camden).. that CD was the first gift my ex-husband ever gave me. I don't listen to that much jazz nowadays, sometimes, but more into stuff like happy Hed Kandi dance music, mellow pop like Zero 7 and Air (both got new albums about to come out), and in particular I'm having a rock revival - Doors, Henrix, Lynyrd Skynyrd.. good walking music, and has any guitarist ever topped Hendix?? Plus I'm stupidly addicted to the song American Boy, by Estelle with Kanye West.
OK, bed now. Moon day tomorrow.. take some rest, man!!
:)
True Blood! Excellent antidote to too much yogi-ness.
Infatuation? That's more an in the beginning thing no? Been doing this for two and a half years now. More like when you catch your lover in a certain light, or she says something smart or funny or kooky and your reminded why you were so infatuated with her in the first place. How it's not so much you've taken her for granted but settled comfortably on those qualities you've grown most comfortable and familiar and fond of, forgetting that you chose her for those other lands, dimly seen, that you had so looked forward to exploring. Of a sudden, they appear out of the mist. So it is with the mat stuff.
Coltrane.......enough said
but check out too Sonny Rollins at the Village Vanguard, in particular Softly as in morning sunrise (greatest song title ever) this is the tune I test all my saxophones with at work, great for checking the bottom end.
Must look at some of the bands you mention.... of late I've rediscovered Jethro Tull, someone was playing it at work.
Karen true blood.......how trashy is that show and yet I can't help myself.
That's lovely :) You do write beautifully.
You're right, you've been practising for a couple of years, it's not the 'first throes' of anything... it's just the intensity and passion that keeps reminding me of lovers, maybe because that's something on my mind that I'd really like to have again in my life again.
Also hope I don't come across patronising, I'm always giving out strong opinions about how things should be done etc, and it's certainly permeated my being, but why am I not doing meditation, pranayama and chanting practice right now (not regularly at least)? I should aspire to a practice like yours.
I know that I like Sonny Rollins, but can't remember what I've listened to of his, half the jazz collection is with the ex and the other half destroyed in a fire. I'll check out the one you mention. I like Jethro Tull too, grew up on them, that's what comes of having an older brother, a ten-year-old listening to Jethro Tull! Not sure it's worth checking out the other stuff I mention as it may not be your cup of tea at all, I was just up late on moon day eve and felt like rambling :)
Oh and just to say I really like everyone else's comments too...
It's hard though, with our long Ashtanga practices, to start adding on another half hour, especially if your at a shala. I mean by that, you have travel time to add on to your practice, and of course chanting can be distracting for whoever is on the next mat. Much easier for me at home, especially as I've never been one for long savasanas, and with an empty house I can chant away awkwardly to my hearts content.
Supposedly Krishnamacharya recommended Ramaswami practice 40 minutes asana and 20 minutes Pranayama, meditation and chanting in his lessons. I'm doing 90 minutes Asana and 30 minutes PMC,
Funny how the perspective changes it's as if the PMC and those few 'essential asanas' have become central to my practice and I'd rather sacrifice part of the series, if I become pushed for time, than those elements. In the past I would have made sure I completed the series and then rushed through finishing.
When i had those lessons in the yurt I seem to remember being told, and I assume this came from Ramaswami himself that you can do your practice,then finish with five minutes or so of kapalibhati Pranayama, five minutes meditation on breath and call it quits. Then later in the day when you have time, spend 10 minutes in Maha Mudra and then do your full half hour of PMC. But don't quote me on that will have to write to him and check.
<3 This is how it evovles into living yoga :) I am not yet to this point but I see myself on that path.
P.S. I've been an Ashtanga practictioner for some time. A dear friend attended a workshop with Ramaswami last week and I found out he is going to be in Atlanta next week and I am debating on taking one of his workshops. You've sparked my interest.
Hi Flo, have a look at this article Linda-Sama sent me
http://www.namarupa.org/magazine/nr06/downloads/05_NR6-Srivatsa.pdf It's ramaswami talking about his studies with Krishnamacharya might help you make up your mind whether to go. I'm thinking about catching his month long in LA next year.
Hey Grimmly, good to see another yogi digging jazz. Not many of us out there. I've always felt it was the perfect music for yoga (there's some trancendental aspect going on when the jazz masters play). Anyway, glad you enjoy the YogaDawg Jazz Saturdays. All the best to you!
Oh I meant to say, in response to the question about whether friends think me strange. In my workshop they've taken to calling me Tantric Tony
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.