Sunday, 16 August 2026

Iyengar Drop back challenge week Day 7

See Day 1 for an explanation of the challenge/experiment.

This is the last video on this for a while, you'll be pleased to hear, though I think I'll stick with these for a while This one, like Day 1 is at normal speed.



On the last post Susan and Dana were talking about leading with my head when coming back up and suggested taking the head back last. Here are two stills that show the difference between
my head position going down and coming up again.















I mean it works though doeslook a little strained. Something to work on along with the splayed feet.

I like the shadow in the first picture.

Had a go at trying to bring the head up last today but couldn't get the rhythm right and went back to what's working, for now anyway.

I've been doing the fifteen to twenty of these all week and the back has been fine, a little stiffness in the beginning but otherwise no problems. I'm feeling more confident with both. Before this week it was a little hit or miss, but that was due to laziness on my part and not practicing them regularly enough. I've always Ashtanga is a bit obsessive about back bending but, it's fun and curiously revitalizing, practiced the Iyengar way, however, the 15-20, I find quite meditative.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find that if leave the head back last, I can really slo-mo the coming up. It feels really smooth and controlled, no jerking. Hard to explain.

To count 108, could you have a little pile of stones in front, to one side of the mat, and shuffle one across with the foot every 10 dropbacks? Or would that disrupt the meditatve aspect?

Love the hummingbird description, btw. I was reminded of a mouse, but I think hummingbird is more apt.

Grimmly said...

Fixed the slow motion bit at the end.

Hi Lew. Going to try working on the head last thing this week....or maybe next, perhaps one more week to really get the rhythm and action locked in.

Hell, if I do the 108 then it being meditative or not isn't going to worry me, it'll just be a one off on my birthday. think I'll rope someone in to count for me. But well see, taken me all week to do 90 odd.

Hummingbirds..... mice ...... Sigh! How about a mighty dragon, it's great wings flapping rhythmically up and down, up and down.... or a mouse : )

Grimmly said...

I lied, the slow motion bit isn't working.

alfia said...

I like the idea with the stones. Only afraid that it will take a decade or two before I actually need them!

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.