Sunday, 16 August 2026

Jump Back Achieved: At last, the Jump Back I always wanted

Something happened during Tuesday's practice, the Jump Back I've been after finally materialized. Half way through the practice everything came together and I just seemed to get the extra lift and there it was. After my practice I tried to catch it on Video. Of the three I took this is the best one with the best Jump Through but I'm a little off shot at the beginning One of the others I took is on youtube).



What I like about it is that I tend to go straight up and get enough height to bring my legs back through without brushing the mat. My hips tend to go up higher and more smoothly, the whole thing has a nice pace about it. The Jump Through too is more controlled, again, I didn't brush the mat and my legs straightened nicely before coming down.

I think it can be improved of course, but this is basically what I've been after and I think the grace and consistency will come.

What's interesting is that it comes after a disrupted month of practice. A post or two before I mention that I've lost some arm and core strength (my jump through was completely shot), so the success here isn't down to just strength. Nor is it due to any mystical Bandha control, although I do draw my belly in and up, there's nothing mystical about it. I think it's just a matter of bringing several techniques together.

I'll try and focus on these in the next couple of posts

*By the way I'm thinking about a new camcorder for these videos,any suggestions? Something cheap, HD perhaps but nothing too fancy At the moment I'm just using my phone. None of the YouTube or cnet camcorder reviews give an idea of which would be best for recording this kind of thing indoors

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! It's looking really good.

Tiffany said...

Wow, awesome. Yeah, I'm having problems with the jump back. I can do it, but the times I do it's more of a lot of momentum and sheer force (ie. swinging back from padmasana to chaturanga). I'm on a mission for that stupid jump back. It's frustrating because I get the connection with the floating jump through...I guess I'll keep watching your videos. Hopefully it'll happen for me through watching your success. Thanks for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

Well done! These posts have been really helpful - thanks!

susiegb said...

Congratulations! I'm a long way from that, but your blog has been/is very useful and inspiring to keep on trying!!

Grimmly said...

Many thanks, nice when it starts coming together but there are, what 24 odd jump backs in primary. Trick now is to try to pull it off like that every time. and then there's all those weird jump backs and jump throughs in intermediate....

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.