Now maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it feels too fast, too energetic, almost aggressive. I can see why this might be attractive to those who want an energetic, fast flowing Ashtanga but I think I'm looking for a more meditative, smoothly flowing practice. The crossed leg Jump through seems to fit better with what I'm looking for and why I like that Kino half handstand float in the air element to my Jump Through as well as the float up and float back in Sury A and B. Looks very impressive though ( here's a nice example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmxu4DI4qzQ&feature=PlayList&p=26AB4571689B27FE&index=4 ) and I'm curious which method everyone is most drawn to so am adding another of those mini polls to the right side of my blog. Straight leg or Crossed leg Jump Through? You can vote for which one you can do or which one you like best or would most like to be able to do, up to you.
here's another example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJOWmcHeX88&feature=PlayList&p=26AB4571689B27FE&index=14
and here's Lino http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KAU3xNVTAE
Lino has a much slower straight leg jump through but it still doesn't float my Navasana.
If anyone has a link to a nice slow meditative straight leg Jump Through that proves me wrong please let me know.
UPDATE
See posts end of June 09 and the label ' Straight leg jump through'
4 comments:
i don't think it really matters which version you do. it is much harder to come through more slowly with your legs straight out in front, but it doesn't need to be an uncontrolled crash into the mat. it was hard to see what your feet were doing in your jump through but try flexing the feet, it looked like you might have been pointing toes, and while this seems to draw the feet away from the mat, it is easier for me to keep my legs tucked in if the feet are flexed.
when i asked one of my teachers which version he did, he said straight legs for most things but tucked when he was getting fatigued.
I read somewhere that straight legs doesn't develop the bandhas very well, and I agree. Working with blocks at first and then without, I managed to nail it quite easily, but it felt like a cheat. I suck at the cross-legged ones but prefer them.
Are you going to Kino's London workshop in April?
CH. My toes tend to be pointed. just had a quick go at Jumping through with them flexed but got really confused and crashed and burned will give it a proper try tomorrow morning, sounds interesting.
S. I think I read that too, where was that? I remember it as developing control though which I too agree with.
You do 2nd (nice post today by the way, found it a great reference) which do you think is better for the jump into Eka pada straight or crossed.
And yes, hope to go to Kino's workshop, will try to book the Saturday off work.
Can't remember where it was.. develops bandhas, control, something like that. I think if you can float with straight legs it's OK, but most people just swing through like a pendulum.
The jump into eka pada is different (not that I'm any good at it).. I jump one leg around the shoulder like for bhuja, and the other straight through like for tiriang, then the idea is to set down slowly (I kind of crash, partly due to my problem wrist). So there's no question of straight or crossed, the two legs are just doing completely different things.
Glad you liked the post, yes I hope it can be a good reference.
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.