Sunday, 16 August 2026

Marichyasana series Jump backs

OK I know Jump backs are SO last year and Backbends are where it's at now, but lets get all Retro for a second.

Trying to work on consistency in my Jump back and Jump through.

I guess I tend to pretty much post my best Jump backs so thought it would be good to post a segment of my practice and look at how they differ slightly. The Mari series because it will always be work in progress and it will be good for me to record the same section six months from now.

Good angle for looking at my jump through, still not right. Need to ask Kino how she works her breath. Normal practice for jump through is, I think to, exhale about two thirds. But I have that swing forward up onto my toes then swing back and then Jump and instead of going all the way through I go high and hang for a moment Kino style, before coming down and through. That really makes the breath confusing.

At the moment I tend to lift up following my inhale and kick back while exhaling. I inhale up to up dog, exhale to down dog. Then I inhale on my swing forward to my toes and exhale two thirds or so as I go back, start to jump up and hold coming through on the last of the breath.

Seems to work OK but am, as always, open to suggestions. I've noticed a few visitors from Miami, anyone from Kino's shala who knows how she teaches the breath here or have been to one of her workshops?

Getting warmer now and I want to get second yoga towel, want to try a Yogitoes Skidless. Anyone know where they can be picked up in the UK. Seen them on ebay but postage is expensive from the US. Think I remember reading someone blogging from the UK had one so surely they can be had, but can't find a UK supplier online.

7 comments:

V said...

Can you not get them from Yogamatters?

Grimmly said...

Hi V
You'd think, but doesn't look like it. Found the hand towel somewhere and Amazon had them for awhile but not anymore.

Anonymous said...

Hey G

Try glowgetter.co.uk

Ruth

susananda said...

I'm confused.. don't you inhale all the way forward, whether you lift the hips high or not? Though I can see how the pause at the top would make you want to exhale come through.. but that isn't correct vinyasa, is it?? Oh well, not too long now till you can ask Kino in person. I am guessing you'll get a lot out of that weekend.
:)

Oh, and your question concerns the UK and the word veri is angli !

Grimmly said...

Just checked yoga mala and he has the jump through on the inhale" As does Swenson, John Scott and Lino but I think I ended up trying to do it at the end of the exhale ages back following this from Tim miller

"Remember to support the movement with your breath. Jumping through at the end of an exhalation, when you are completely empty of breath, is best because the exhalation also facilitates deeper movement into the forward bending position."
http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/765

this must be where my confusion came from. think I need to do a post just on this.
Thanks Susan

thank you too Ruth I checked and glowgetters do say they have them. I think though I once tried to buy one from them but after a long wait and me geting in touch they said they didn't have them in stock and were waiting for some more to come in. that anoyed me (had the same happen with the Mile book from yogamatters the same week) so I got a refund. Might call them to check before I order one.

(0v0) said...

Great attention to detail on the slightly diffrent instructions for jumping up and through.

I try to envelope it, on an inhale, but also do what Tim says, looking to the navel at the bottom of the exhale in DD and staying empty there for a moment.

Anonymous said...

I bought mine in the shop at The Life Centre in Notting Hill.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.