Tried to give myself some more space. Ticking was fine but couldn't figure out why I was having such a hard time Tocking. Hard enough with my legs spread like this, legs together, another ball game altogether. Had taken the wall for granted in the last post and forgotten all about it. No wall here (or at least a bit of a stretch), starting to sink in how tricky this is. Back to the drawing board.
For now I'm thinking I need to practice tocking back over in any way I can to try and work out how the body weight is getting shifted....going to be awhile before it's pretty.
The exclamation after landing was because I was quite tense when I landed, need to relax more so I don't feel any jarring.
Just watched a couple of Youtube videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw4sYpQTG6Y and think I get the idea. Vrshchikasana appears to be the key. There seems to be some rocking to get some momentum (as in coming up from regular dropbacks) and then as you jump up you seem to have to bring your head and body through into vrshchikasana. The good news then is that you dont need to jump all the way over just up into your vrshchikasana.....the bad news is mine is pretty sad at the moment.
Still this makes sense. To work on Vrshchikasana without relying on the wall I need to feel confident falling comfortably into UD anyway, so worth practicing. Haven't really tried this with the one I should be working on, the forearm vrshchikasana from Intermediate. Must be easier tocking back over in that one and will be good prep, except my handstands are much stronger than my forearm stands.
That's where we start tomorrow, forearm tick tocking.
3 comments:
The problem that I see is that the way you are ticking, you end up with a very flat and spread out UD...which is odd since your UD is otherwise really nice and compact and tall. Why not do your usual beautiful UD and tock from there? I think you would have an easier time catching the tock if you were in a deeper UD...(this comes from my memory of doing back limbers and back handsprings as a kid)
I think your right. As I feel more comfortable with it I should be able to drop into a deeper UD. For now I'm trying to walk my hands and feet in a little to deepen it. I don't know, it's a fun thing to work on over my holiday but not taking getting the Tock too seriously. Will be happy if I come out of this fortnight with a nice comfortable tick to get my stands away from the wall.
Yeah, the tock is hard! Your feet don't have to be together, just leave the floor at the same time. Oh, and vrshchikasana in pincha is no longer in intermediate. Only in David Swenson's book. Great pose though (I love it), sure it will help you to get there in handstand!
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.