Sunday, 16 August 2026

Day 7 Towards Karandavasana

"This pose is quite challenging and takes at least two weeks of practice."
Richard Freeman Ashtanga yoga The Intermediate series DVD
One week down, one to go.

Felt I'm making some progress with this at last. Managed to get the kind of body alignment I was after with my head up that I was getting yesterday with my head down.

It's an effort but should get easier over the next couple of days. Think with this alignment I should be able to get my lotus all the way down to my arms. Whether I'll be able to take it back up again is another matter.

I was watching Richards DVD again and in Pincha Mayurasana he says "Look at a point on the floor between the elbows"....really? I was looking closer to my thumbs.

Think it's what made the difference with my alignment though. Hard to jump up with the gaze there, so I'm looking mid forearm to jump up, then take my gaze back to between my elbows which seems to straighten everything up. I try to make sure my gaze doesn't wander beyond my thumbs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

About elbows vs. thumbs:

In my most recent Sirsasana-vasana adventure (hah!) I rolled somewhat onto the BACK of my head (not actually onto it, but toward it) to let the legs come down and firmly touch the arms. This fits with rounding the back as the lotus lowers. (it also prevented me from flopping onto my butt).

In a Pincha position, the gaze would, in the same way, move from the thumbs, toward the elbows. Indeed.

If that's too weird or makes no sense, try launching into pincha with gaze between hands, and then MOVING it either to elbows or even toward the back of the room.

A substantial part of this pose's challenge might be moving the gaze while inverted.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.